Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting iPad as Keynote remote

Why is my new iPad Air not showing up on the device list for Keynote Remote? I've got it on the same wifi, connected by bluetooth, rebooted, upgraded, and restarted ... Old iPad Air and iPhone are connected with no problem ... I'm stumped.

iPad Air, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 7:32 AM

6 replies

Jan 28, 2020 1:42 PM in response to 123TRB

Hi 123TRB,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are not able to use your new iPad Air with Keynote Remote. I'd like to help.

Below are the requirements to use Keynote Remote, as quoted from this article: Use Keynote Remote to control your Keynote presentation - Apple Support.

"-An iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with Keynote 2.1 or later for iPhone or iPad

-A Mac with Keynote for Mac 6.1 or later

-A remote device linked to your Mac or another iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch."

Please take a look over this support article above, and be sure you've linked your device properly with Keynote Remote.

Keep me posted. Regards.

Jan 29, 2020 7:10 AM in response to 123TRB

123TRB,

Thanks for following up. Let's grab more information about what's going on, so we can figure this out.

How you are attempting to use your new iPad Air with Keynote Remote. To elaborate further on that question, here are some examples of how you can use it: Use a remote to control a Keynote presentation - Apple Support. Do any of these options work, or, do they all fail to work properly with your new iPad Air? At which point in the steps, does it fail? i.e. you never see the Set Up Remote screen, device doesn't appear after turning on Enable Remotes, never receive four-digit code or doesn't match, etc. As quoted from this article, "Note: The old Keynote Remote app previously available from the App Store is no longer supported."

Also, there was a new iPadOS released while we were in discussion. Consider trying to update your iPadOS to see if this helps improve your experience with Keynote Remote: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Feb 2, 2020 8:55 AM in response to 123TRB

123TRB,

Thanks for the update.

It appears you've likely updated the iPadOS on your new iPad Air as well, I assume. If so, let's have you try the following steps:

-Make sure your Keynote presentations are backed up, or synced to iCloud (Settings > [name] > iCloud > Keynote).

-Delete the Keynote application from your new iPad Air (long-press over the Keynote app > Delete App).

-Restart your iPad Air: Restart your iPad - Apple Support.

-Restart your Mac: How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support.

-Reinstall Keynote on your new iPad Air (open the App Store > Search (keynote) > tap the cloud icon to reinstall).

-Try connecting once again: Use Keynote Remote to control your Keynote presentation - Apple Support.

Let us know how this goes. Regards.

Jan 31, 2020 4:40 PM in response to i_rina

Following the steps. I open Keynote on my iPad Air, click on the remote icon and then click "continue". On my MacBook Pro I open my presentation in Keynote and click on Keynote/preferences/remotes ... The "enable" is clicked. .... then nothing appears other than two other devices that are already linked. The iPad Air continues to pulse ... the MacBook shows nothing as a new device. ... still stumped!

Feb 9, 2020 6:24 AM in response to MichelleT18

THANK YOU ... deleting and reinstalling the Keynote App on my new iPad Air worked! After deleting the app from my iPad, I reinstalled it from the cloud. My MacBook Pro - Keynote immediately recognized "iPad" and I was able to link it.

Initially, it caused Keynote to freeze, but after a "forced quit" I shut down and restarted my MacBook and relaunched Keynote. The iPad and MacBook are reconciled and now working in beautiful harmony. Keynote remote is now working on my new iPad ... I'm at peace!

Thanks apple community for your help!

Connecting iPad as Keynote remote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.