Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting an old Cinema Monitor to a Mac Mini

Could anyone guide me as to if I could connect my 2002 Apple Cinema Monitor (model M8536 / Serial # RMS17ZL4LFA to a Mac Mini?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 12:12 PM

Here's. some info about your Cinema Display that you may find helpful:

Apple Cinema Display HD Specs and Info - EveryMac

This from the article: "This model uses an ADC (Apple Display Connector), which carries analog and digital video signals, USB data, and power in the same cable and requires a Mac with an ADC connection and a video card with 32 MB or more of video memory."

Also: "Supported MacOS:9.2.2 or X 10.1.3

*Power:70W**

Details:*This display requires a Mac with an ADC port (or a DVI-to-ADC adapter), onboard USB, and at least 32 MB of VRAM, running MacOS 9.2.2 or MacOS X 10.1.3 or higher."

So, if your Mac mini meets these specs, either with or without an appropriate monitor adapter, then yes you could connect it. Otherwise, maybe not.

You can check the specs of your Mac mini at the same site : EveryMac.com

You can find out exactly which Mac mini you have by clicking the Apple menu > About This Mac. Your machine specific info will be right there.

I suspect even the newest Mac mini might drive that monitor if you can find a DisplayPort to DVI adapter.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2020 12:12 PM in response to Jacie1205

Here's. some info about your Cinema Display that you may find helpful:

Apple Cinema Display HD Specs and Info - EveryMac

This from the article: "This model uses an ADC (Apple Display Connector), which carries analog and digital video signals, USB data, and power in the same cable and requires a Mac with an ADC connection and a video card with 32 MB or more of video memory."

Also: "Supported MacOS:9.2.2 or X 10.1.3

*Power:70W**

Details:*This display requires a Mac with an ADC port (or a DVI-to-ADC adapter), onboard USB, and at least 32 MB of VRAM, running MacOS 9.2.2 or MacOS X 10.1.3 or higher."

So, if your Mac mini meets these specs, either with or without an appropriate monitor adapter, then yes you could connect it. Otherwise, maybe not.

You can check the specs of your Mac mini at the same site : EveryMac.com

You can find out exactly which Mac mini you have by clicking the Apple menu > About This Mac. Your machine specific info will be right there.

I suspect even the newest Mac mini might drive that monitor if you can find a DisplayPort to DVI adapter.

Connecting an old Cinema Monitor to a Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.