Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Handoff is not working between ipad and iphone

I have an iphone 11 and an ipad air.

I have the settings on for handoff. However I never get the handoff icon on either device.

I am signed in on both devices with the same apple ID and connected to the same network.

please help. So annoying!

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 3:26 AM

Okay, my only remaining suggestion is to log-out from iCloud on both devices (keeping a local copy of your data on at least one of them during the logout process). A restart of each device, whilst logged-out will do no harm - and might be beneficial to the process. After logging-out of iCloud from affected devices, log back in.

Handoff is an element of the Apple Continuity suite of features - entirely dependent upon iCloud. Sometimes iCloud sync’ processes can hang. Often, logout/login to iCloud can resolve issues of this kind.

I hope this is found to be helpful in resolving the problem. Best of luck.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2020 3:26 AM in response to bribay1967

Okay, my only remaining suggestion is to log-out from iCloud on both devices (keeping a local copy of your data on at least one of them during the logout process). A restart of each device, whilst logged-out will do no harm - and might be beneficial to the process. After logging-out of iCloud from affected devices, log back in.

Handoff is an element of the Apple Continuity suite of features - entirely dependent upon iCloud. Sometimes iCloud sync’ processes can hang. Often, logout/login to iCloud can resolve issues of this kind.

I hope this is found to be helpful in resolving the problem. Best of luck.

Jan 25, 2020 3:04 PM in response to bribay1967

Are both of your devices running the same version of iOS - or is only one of them running iOS/iPadOS 13.x? If the latter is the case, then you need to be aware that some features are not fully compatible across major iOS versions. Handoff between iOS12.x and iOS/iPadOS13.x is definitely unreliable.

You make reference to iPad Air; if this is the original iPad Air, it is limited to iOS 12.4.4 - whilst an Air 2 can be updated to iPadOS 13.x.

Handoff is not working between ipad and iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.