Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete a user from users and groups on Catalina

Hey all, I am having some issues I was hoping you all could help with. I purchased a late 2012 Mac mini running Catalina from a shop that refurbishes them. It came with an account called "user" as admin with no password. I created a new account for myself and cannot seem to delete the "user" account.

I go to users and groups, unlock the pad lock, select the "user" and hit the (-). it comes up with a prompt to type in the users password and I hit enter as there is no password on that account. the pop up goes away but the account remains.

I have also followed the steps to go into the Director Utility and delete it that way but it also did not work. I found the user, hit the minus, and it remains.

I also tried to create a password for the account and it won't let me.

Any ideas? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 7:03 AM

The Mac Mini was not properly prepared for resale.

see > What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Contact the refurbisher/reseller and see if they can provide you with the password. If not, then the only way to get rid of that account is to Erase and Reinstall macOS.

see > How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

and > How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2020 7:03 AM in response to Jay528

The Mac Mini was not properly prepared for resale.

see > What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Contact the refurbisher/reseller and see if they can provide you with the password. If not, then the only way to get rid of that account is to Erase and Reinstall macOS.

see > How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

and > How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Can't delete a user from users and groups on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.