Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

don't have the necessary permission in "mojave"

I want to access this disk, which is the startup disk, from another Mac on my network. When I click on the disk icon in connect to server I get the message "not connected" So I checked on the permissions on the startup disk and tried to set everyone to read and write. I got the above message. I am the administer on this account and there are no other users.

1. How can I change the permission on the startup disk?
  2. How can I connect to this disk from my other computer?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 25, 2020 8:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 12:08 PM

Use File Sharing in the Sharing preferences. On the Source computer:

Open Sharing preferences on the Source computer:

You will have Admin privileges to access the Source from the Target. On the Target computer you should now see the Source computer listed in Network in the sidebar. Double-click on the Source icon to mount it on the Target's Desktop. A login dialog should appear. Sign in to your admin account on the Source computer and enter the admin password for that account.

A disk icon should appear on the Target computer's Desktop. You now have access to the Source computer. Locate the files you wish to transfer from the Source computer.

If you desire two-way transfers then simply repeat what you just did on the Target computer so it can be a Source computer for the Target.

For added help see: Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support and How to connect with File Sharing on your Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2020 12:08 PM in response to nealt2

Use File Sharing in the Sharing preferences. On the Source computer:

Open Sharing preferences on the Source computer:

You will have Admin privileges to access the Source from the Target. On the Target computer you should now see the Source computer listed in Network in the sidebar. Double-click on the Source icon to mount it on the Target's Desktop. A login dialog should appear. Sign in to your admin account on the Source computer and enter the admin password for that account.

A disk icon should appear on the Target computer's Desktop. You now have access to the Source computer. Locate the files you wish to transfer from the Source computer.

If you desire two-way transfers then simply repeat what you just did on the Target computer so it can be a Source computer for the Target.

For added help see: Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support and How to connect with File Sharing on your Mac.

Jan 25, 2020 8:44 PM in response to nealt2

The startup disk's permissions cannot nor ever should be changed. Catalina uses a two volume setup in which one volume, the startup volume, is a locked, read-only filesystem that cannot be changed by any user.

You can connect two computers together in several ways and boot the computer you wish to access into Target Disk Mode: How to Boot and Use a Mac in Target Disk Mode and How to use target disk mode to move files between two Mac computers.

What are you trying to accomplish? Which models are the two computers? What type of ports do they have in common? Which macOS versions are they using?

Jan 25, 2020 9:21 PM in response to Kappy

I want to move files from a MacOS10.11.6 computer to a MacOS 10.14.6 computer. They are both connected by ethernet via a router. I notice in 19.11.6 one can set the permissions to read and write.

I can connect to server from the 10.14.6 computer to the 10.11.6 computer but not the other way around. Then I can move the files. But since I am using the optical disk on the 10.11.6 computer I would prefer to transfer the files to the 10.14.6 computer which does not have an optical disk drive. (thanks Apple.)

It is unfortunate that I can not see the optical disk on the 10.11.6 computer from the 10.14.6 computer.

Using target disk mode is not a good idea for moving one or two small files.

The other option is to useTeam Viewer to control the 10.11.6 computer but this is a bit slow.

don't have the necessary permission in "mojave"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.