Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Avoid Automatic lists on iOS Notes

I have a workaround to avoid automatic lists in Notes on my iPhone.

I saw a number of people complaining about the fact that one cannot turn that of.

So if you type a ‘1.’ and a space, automatically an indent is created and when you enter for the second line, ‘2.’ is created with an indent.

The same goes for ‘-‘ and ‘•’ which turns automatically into an indented list after you type a space.

The trick to avoid this is to ‘fool’ the Notes app by setting some Text Replacement shortcuts.

Goto Settings => Keyboard => Text Replacement and add the following shortcuts:

(dot space) is shortcutted by (dot comma)

So once you type (1 dot comma) in Notes, it is replaced bij (1 dot) without the indent and automatic list!

The same goes for ‘-‘ and ‘•’

(hyphen space) is shortcutted by (hyphen comma)

(bullet space) is shortcutted by (bullet comma).

That’s it, that’s the workaround.

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 6:27 PM

Less, first let me thank you for throwing this up here. It's been bugging me for weeks. However, I assume I doing something wrong as the directions aren't working for me. No matter what I type after the number. I attached a screenshot as reference.

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 6, 2020 2:38 AM in response to Walt1030

Walt,

Your test should be typing (dot)(comma) and after a space the result should be (dot)(space) what is left, without an indent.

Independently what prefix you have used before the (dot).

Note: In the Text replacement you need to actually type a . and a , but I use these (dot) and (comma) to make the story more readable.

Rgds, Nicetoknow.

Avoid Automatic lists on iOS Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.