Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Notes lag when taking handwritten notes on iPad Pro with Apple Pencil

I have the 2nd generation iPad Pro and noticed a lot of lag after updating to iPadOS 16.1. This is especially prominent as the size of the notes increase (i.e. more than 4 - 5 pages). At this point, the current note is completely unusable.

I have also noticed that if you close the notes once the lag appears, apple notes does not save the 'laggy portion' as well.

I restarted the iPad and also ensured no apps were running in the background. Lag remains.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 12:41 PM

yeah, I am having this problem as well, right after update to iOS 16.2. I depend on this for law school. Apple needs to fix this garbage right now; unacceptable. I will stop investing in apple products if this isn't fixed soon

32 replies

Nov 28, 2023 10:59 AM in response to daksh_91

I figured out the issue was related to how often Notes was updating or “fetching data.” Go into your settings and find “Notes.” What worked for me was changing the setting from push to fetch and setting it to fetch data every 15 minutes.

This has to do with your iCloud saves. If your notes are synced across multiple devices and you’re actively using them all, that’s when the frequent fetching occurs. I’ve got my notes set up across three devices myself.

Hope this tip sorts it out for you.

Dec 23, 2022 10:24 AM in response to Ben_Lupin

I am in the same boat. Additionally, my laggy handwritten notes on ipad don’t sync with my iphone and the page just appears blank on iphone.

I tried multiple things as well and even tried syncing the note on another older gen ipad pro, but the problem remains. I think this might be a software issue since other ipad has a different chip altogether.

Nov 19, 2022 9:04 PM in response to LotusPilot

Done forced restart as said above, tried toggling the iCloud on/off, tried deleting the notes app and reinstalling it. Nothing worked. What can be done next? This is so annoying and as the OP said that particular note becomes unusable because of the lag. I have to create a new note which works for some length and then the lag comes. What else can be done?

Oct 31, 2022 5:03 AM in response to daksh_91

When restarting your iPad, did you perform a forced-restart - or instead just a shut-down and restart?

If you haven’t already done so, a forced-restart may clear an isolated performance issue. After a simple restart, the ipad will resume in its previous state - whereas a forced-restart will reinitialise/restart all system processes.

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Dec 11, 2022 8:43 AM in response to Arun_Chandra

I have been having the same problem! I am so glad there is another person with it. I love apple notes but this is a really unappealing bug. More attention to the problem would greatly be apprieated! I believe something changed, maybe a global variable or a "notes" specific change with IOS 16. A possible memory leak created in each note maybe? More testing on this bug and a better answer/fix will help your company!

Also for me specifically, when exporting notes (when I open it in macOS) it doesn't export to a pdf properly and there are blank pages and not all the content is there. I found a work around from another post by using markup (on iPadOS) and then sharing that to my computer (running macOS). But I really shouldn't have to do this and it isn't perfect aswell! I'm running iPadOS 16.1 and am about to update to iPadOS 16.1.1 since I probobly should have done that first before posting this lol. Please bugs if you haven't already!

Thanks!

Jan 1, 2023 3:52 PM in response to daksh_91

Sadly I am experiencing the same issue. I thought at first it was because I had an old iPad. So I bought a new one and I’m still having the same issue. I need an iPad for my cellular research class. I don’t want to have to start all over in my notes with a regular notebook. Nothing has worked. I have no apps open other than notes. I’ve forced restarted my iPad. I disconnected and reconnected my pencil. This is ridiculous.

Jan 2, 2023 11:06 PM in response to Rodo_

Why would Apple care😂 you’ve already bought their products. Having the same problem over here and it’s ridiculous. The only thing you want to do with the combination of notes and pencil is write text and it doesn’t work. I’m waiting for the day when some other company just overruns Apple. I would gladly sell all this crap and buy somewhere else.

Apple Notes lag when taking handwritten notes on iPad Pro with Apple Pencil

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.