Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to open XLS file in proper format using mac numbers?

I am using mac numbers to open an xls file but all I see is html tags when I open the file. Refer to screenshot attached.

How do I fix this?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 11:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 2:37 AM

That .xls file contains HTML syntax, so it is not a proper spreadsheet, but something someone changed the .html extension to .xls in belief it would convert the HTML table to Excel format. You probably would have better luck making a copy of it, and renaming that extension back to .html — then opening it in a browser.

Here is a Quick Look of an HTML table, where the extension was renamed to .xls. Not only does the original HTML present as it would in a browser, but that table is scrollable too. If I force open it in Numbers, the HTML syntax spews in the spreadsheet.

However, if this table is presented in a browser, I can select what is visible, and using Paste and Match Style starting with the selected cell A1 in a Numbers spreadsheet, deposit the selection in rows and columns of the spreadsheet as if typed in it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2020 2:37 AM in response to chiragojha

That .xls file contains HTML syntax, so it is not a proper spreadsheet, but something someone changed the .html extension to .xls in belief it would convert the HTML table to Excel format. You probably would have better luck making a copy of it, and renaming that extension back to .html — then opening it in a browser.

Here is a Quick Look of an HTML table, where the extension was renamed to .xls. Not only does the original HTML present as it would in a browser, but that table is scrollable too. If I force open it in Numbers, the HTML syntax spews in the spreadsheet.

However, if this table is presented in a browser, I can select what is visible, and using Paste and Match Style starting with the selected cell A1 in a Numbers spreadsheet, deposit the selection in rows and columns of the spreadsheet as if typed in it.

How to open XLS file in proper format using mac numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.