Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recording Volume on iMac

Hi

I have an iMac using Mojave 10.14.6 and I have been recording narration using Audacity (which is why I haven't updated to Catalina).

I use a USB mic (ATR2100) and until recently have had no problem recording. Now whenever I record the volume is really quiet.

I have gone through all the troubleshooting suggestions on Audacity and on Apple Support.

I have even tried recording a Voice Memo here on my iMac and the volume is really low using that too which makes me think it is something to do with the iMac rather than Audacity.

I have tested the microphone using voice memo on another Macbook Air too and it works fine on that.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Many thanks

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 3:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 8:10 AM

Thanks BDAqua

It seems to be system wide, it didn't work with the new user either.

I specifically haven't updated to Catalina because Audacity does not support it (its related to permissions for external mics).

I've decided to upgrade to Catalina and use the workaround that Audacity has suggested and see how that goes. I can't be any worse off than I am just now.

Thanks for your help

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2020 8:10 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua

It seems to be system wide, it didn't work with the new user either.

I specifically haven't updated to Catalina because Audacity does not support it (its related to permissions for external mics).

I've decided to upgrade to Catalina and use the workaround that Audacity has suggested and see how that goes. I can't be any worse off than I am just now.

Thanks for your help

Jan 27, 2020 7:18 AM in response to dialabrain

Yes of course thanks.

Apple iMac

1. System Pref > Sound - check microphone is set up correctly - Input to ATR2100, Output to Built in Speaker.

2.System Pref >Security & privacy - check Audacity is allowed access to my microphone.

3.Audio Midi Set Up - check input and output devices correct.

Audacity

1. Pref > devices - check input mic is ATR2100, output is built-in speaker. Check recording volumes are correct.
  2. Pref >recording - all set up as per Audacity instructions.
  3. Pref> Quality - project rate is 44100 HZ and 32 -bit float
  4. When recording - the toolbar shows input mic is ATR2100 - recording levels correct and output speakers are the built-in speaker. When I record the levels are only hitting about a 1/3rd of what they should be.

For completeness I have also fully uninstalled and re-installed Audacity. Shut Down my iMac and restarted it after doing this too. I have also deleted the mic from the iMac and reinstalled it via Coreaudiod.

Before opening Audacity, I ensure the microphone is plugged in, then "rescan the audio device" to make sure it recognises it.

I have also switched the iMac on and off as suggested above.

I have used the Audacity guides, followed their guidance in the FAQ and posted an enquiry to their forum but to no avail.

Hope that helps

Recording Volume on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.