Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suspicious sms text message from 50 472

I’ve received an sms text message from 50 472 that says: Hello, We couldn’t verify the address in your account, please re-submit your details at *** to prevent account lock out.

Nothing initially said it was from Apple but upon opening the link on a different device (I didn’t click the link) the website that comes up is: *** where it says my Apple ID has been locked for security reasons and then a blue “unlock account” link to press. Obviously I didn’t press it or enter my details but can anyone put my mind at rest as to whether this is just a new way of phishing? I’ve had some really weird things happen recently on my phone, like suspicious activity and needing to change passwords etc but on random things like Spotify or an old gmail account, and obviously now this text to my actual phone number. I tried to call Apple support but couldn’t get past the automated recording....

[Link Edited by Moderator]

iPhone SE, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 6:05 AM

Strictly chance. They send out such messages to thousands, and possibly millions of numbers at a time, whether they're live or not.

It's a numbers game for the criminals. Send out a million scam messages and hope to catch a few hundred who sucker for it.

Since you didn't enter any details, you don't need to do anything else.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2020 6:05 AM in response to drinsurrey

Strictly chance. They send out such messages to thousands, and possibly millions of numbers at a time, whether they're live or not.

It's a numbers game for the criminals. Send out a million scam messages and hope to catch a few hundred who sucker for it.

Since you didn't enter any details, you don't need to do anything else.

Suspicious sms text message from 50 472

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.