Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-using Time Machine external disk

Hello. If I have an external hard drive used for Time Machine backups, and I use that disk to restore my data onto a new Mac, what are the best practices for potentially using that external disk as my Time Machine backups on the new Mac?

Will the drive be wiped once I setup Time Machine on the new Mac?

Would it be best just to buy a new external drive for the new Mac?

The old Mac will probably be stored powered down for a short period of time and then decommissioned and discarded.

Thanks for the tips!

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 9:00 AM

Bernard Piela wrote:
The old Mac will probably be stored powered down for a short period of time and then decommissioned and discarded.

Thanks for the tips!

Depending on the age of the external drive, I would suggest that you replace it with a new one. In my book, if a drive is 5-6 years old or more I begin to consider that it could become a potential problem at any time. You could continue to use it as a backup to the backup... or for just misc storage of non-critical data.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2020 9:00 AM in response to Bernard Piela

Bernard Piela wrote:

Thanks for the tips!

Depending on the age of the external drive, I would suggest that you replace it with a new one. In my book, if a drive is 5-6 years old or more I begin to consider that it could become a potential problem at any time. You could continue to use it as a backup to the backup... or for just misc storage of non-critical data.

Re-using Time Machine external disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.