Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine

how do I switch my external drive to backup a new macbook instead of the old one?

When I transferred data from a backup of the old machine (macbook Pro 2009), the new machine (macbook air 2021) got named the same name as the old machine... a little confusing, but time machine seems to know the difference. The external hard drive is full of old backups of the old machine. Can I just delete all but the most recent to make space? I would really prefer to have them treated a separate machines, since I will be using the old machine for limited purposes going forward.d

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 1:08 PM

It is not recommended to delete backups from Time Machine. Time Machine will automatically overwrite/delete the oldest backups as the disk fill up in order to create space for new backups.

Otherwise get a new disk and use that and keep the old disk if you need old information.

3 replies

Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.