Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine switch on backup harddrive

I know this is a novice question. Sorry all! I accidentally attached the wrong external harddrive to my old iMac (with new harrdrive) that I only direct Time Machine to store on. They looked the same. Now, I've put the original one back on it that the computer store had set up. Does the "wrong one" have more files saved on it than my original one that I just attached? Or is everything good to go now?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 10:42 AM

Sounds like both were used for Time Machine. Simplest thing to do assuming you have a good running Mac is to erase the drive(s) in question and start over immediately with a Time Machine backup.

The setup process is very easy and quick. You erase the drive using Disk Utilities. Apple has complete guidance to do both.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2021 10:42 AM in response to sirgroiney

Sounds like both were used for Time Machine. Simplest thing to do assuming you have a good running Mac is to erase the drive(s) in question and start over immediately with a Time Machine backup.

The setup process is very easy and quick. You erase the drive using Disk Utilities. Apple has complete guidance to do both.

Aug 26, 2021 12:06 PM in response to sirgroiney

Hello, sirgroiney.

Since you've reconnected the proper drive, there should be no problem with your TM setup now.

With the correct drive attached to your Mac, click the Time Machine icon in the menu bar and select "Backup Now". TM will run the backup process and update the backup that is stored on the correct drive. That's it. When it task is done, click the TM icon again and view the "Latest backup to {drivename]" info. It should show the newest date/time.

If the Time Machine icon is not displayed in your menu bar, click System Preferences > Time Machine and check mark the box to "Show Time Machine in menu bar".

Time Machine switch on backup harddrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.