Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't have the option to "Allow this network to be extended" on my AirPort application. Not on my Mac, neither on my iPhone.

Hi. I am using MacOS 10.12.6 and have an AirPort Extreme v 7.8.1. I am trying to extend my base network with another AirPort Express but I cannot find the setting "Allow this network to be extended" on my wireless network settings on the AirPort Extreme. Reading through topics I see that it disappeared from version 6 of AirPort, so how can I extend my base network now?

I am setting my AirPort Express to "Extend the network" but once I select my wireless network name it tells me that the network is not setup to be extended.

I tried both the application on my Mac and the one on the iPhone.

Thank you.

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 3:40 PM

It appears that you might be trying to do things the hard old fashioned manual way, rather than use Apple's setup "wizard". Please try the following:

Power off the AirPort Extreme and leave it off for a few minutes

Power the AirPort Extreme back up

Temporarily, move the AirPort Express to the same room or close proximity with the AirPort Extreme

Power up the AirPort Express and let it run for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the Express for 7-8 seconds then release

Allow a full minute for the AirPort Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

On your Mac......

Click on the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Express

When you click on AirPort Express, the AirPort Utility setup "wizard" will automatically open up and take a few seconds to analyze the network, then display a screen that looks similar to the example below, except that you will see your AirPort Extreme and network name displayed.

Type in a device name that you want to call the AirPort Express. Example......AirPort Express

Click Next, and the next screen will look similar to the example below

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done, and you are done. Now move the AirPort Express to the desired location. Recommendation........locate the AirPort Express about half way between the AirPort Extreme and the general area where you need more wireless coverage.

If you prefer to use an iPhone for the setup.......

Go to the Home Screen

Tap on Settings

Tap on WiFi

Look for an option to Set Up New AirPort Base Station

Tap on AirPort Express

The setup is vey similar to the setup detailed above.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2020 3:40 PM in response to lazarescua

It appears that you might be trying to do things the hard old fashioned manual way, rather than use Apple's setup "wizard". Please try the following:

Power off the AirPort Extreme and leave it off for a few minutes

Power the AirPort Extreme back up

Temporarily, move the AirPort Express to the same room or close proximity with the AirPort Extreme

Power up the AirPort Express and let it run for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the Express for 7-8 seconds then release

Allow a full minute for the AirPort Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

On your Mac......

Click on the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Express

When you click on AirPort Express, the AirPort Utility setup "wizard" will automatically open up and take a few seconds to analyze the network, then display a screen that looks similar to the example below, except that you will see your AirPort Extreme and network name displayed.

Type in a device name that you want to call the AirPort Express. Example......AirPort Express

Click Next, and the next screen will look similar to the example below

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done, and you are done. Now move the AirPort Express to the desired location. Recommendation........locate the AirPort Express about half way between the AirPort Extreme and the general area where you need more wireless coverage.

If you prefer to use an iPhone for the setup.......

Go to the Home Screen

Tap on Settings

Tap on WiFi

Look for an option to Set Up New AirPort Base Station

Tap on AirPort Express

The setup is vey similar to the setup detailed above.

I don't have the option to "Allow this network to be extended" on my AirPort application. Not on my Mac, neither on my iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.