Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Extension with Airport Express

Hi, I use the Airport Time Capsule as my router and I'm trying to add the Airport Express to extend the network's range. I would appreciate your help or guidance in helping me set it up, thanks!

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 2:22 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 17, 2020 5:50 PM in response to Networkextenstion

OK, thanks for clarifying that.

Temporarily, move the AirPort Express to the same room or close proximity to the Time Capsule

Power up the Express and let it run a a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the Express for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

On your Mac......

Click on the WiFi menu at the top of the screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Just below that listing, click directly to AirPort Express

When you click on AirPort Express, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then display a screen that is similar to the screen that you see below, except that you will see your devices and network name displayed

Next to Base Station Name.......Type in a short simple name for the AirPort Express

Click Next

The next screen that appears will confirm that the AirPort Express is being set up to wirelessly extend the Time Capsule network

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.......and you are done.

Power off the AirPort Express and move it to a location that is approximately half-way between the Time Capsule and the general area where you need extended WiFi coverage.

Power up the AirPort Express and wait a minute for the green light.

The more that you can keep a line-of-sight relationship between the Time Capsule and the AirPort Express, the better the network will operate.

Sep 17, 2020 2:40 PM in response to Networkextenstion

And what device........a Mac computer, a PC, or an iPhone / iPad will you be using to set it up? We ask because the set up is different for each one of these devices.

Hopefully, you are planning to connect the Express back to the Time Capsule using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection, correct? We ask because you will reduce the overall network speed by half or more if you use wireless to connect the Express to the Time Capsule.

Finally, it would really help to know which model of AirPort Express that you have, since there are different models, some which cannot wirelessly extend the signal from the Time Capsule.

Sep 17, 2020 3:09 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for your response Bob!

I will be using a Mac to set it up. Fyi, I was able to set it up about 3 years ago when I first got it and it was connected wirelessly. I had to reset the Time Capsule and lost the Express's connection. And now I have no idea how to go about reconnecting it to the network. Also, not sure which model Airport Express it is. Thanks!

Network Extension with Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.