Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading an IMovie to Desktop then to a Memory Stick

I have a large iMovie file that I want to put on memory sticks to share with friends. I am having trouble sharing the file from IMovie to my Desktop so I can then easily put on the memory stick. The file will transfer about 95% of the file, then say the share failed. I have checked and do not see an obvious media (video or picture) error. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 9:32 AM

The share failure could be caused by a corrupt frame or clip in the project, or perhaps insufficient disk space on your hard drive to contain the shared out movie. Since it is a large movie, the latter likely is the cause. Check your available drive space and free up sufficient space if necessary, then try sharing again. If still not working, you will need to scroll through the movie looking for black frames, white flashes, artifacts, or other evidence of corruption, and cut those out. You might start at or near the 95% point where the share seems to fail. Work with a duplicate of your project so you retain your original.

Also, try sharing out directly to a USB stick that has sufficient capacity to store the movie. The USB drive should be formatted ExFat or Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Most USB drives are formatted Fat 32, a Windows format, that has a 4GB limitation for any one file. You don't want Fat 32 format. ExFat, on the other hand, is compatible with both Windows PCs and Macs, and smart TVs, and has no file limitation. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) would work fine on a Mac but might not work with Windows computers or TVs. I would recommend the ExFat format. If you need to use the Disk Utility app on your Mac to reformat your USB drive be aware that reformatting erases all data on the drive. So back up all data that you want to keep.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2020 9:32 AM in response to StonehamMike

The share failure could be caused by a corrupt frame or clip in the project, or perhaps insufficient disk space on your hard drive to contain the shared out movie. Since it is a large movie, the latter likely is the cause. Check your available drive space and free up sufficient space if necessary, then try sharing again. If still not working, you will need to scroll through the movie looking for black frames, white flashes, artifacts, or other evidence of corruption, and cut those out. You might start at or near the 95% point where the share seems to fail. Work with a duplicate of your project so you retain your original.

Also, try sharing out directly to a USB stick that has sufficient capacity to store the movie. The USB drive should be formatted ExFat or Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Most USB drives are formatted Fat 32, a Windows format, that has a 4GB limitation for any one file. You don't want Fat 32 format. ExFat, on the other hand, is compatible with both Windows PCs and Macs, and smart TVs, and has no file limitation. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) would work fine on a Mac but might not work with Windows computers or TVs. I would recommend the ExFat format. If you need to use the Disk Utility app on your Mac to reformat your USB drive be aware that reformatting erases all data on the drive. So back up all data that you want to keep.

-- Rich

Downloading an IMovie to Desktop then to a Memory Stick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.