Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Share" iMovie to File, try to open and get error "The file isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player."

So, I have a video project that I completed in iMovie that is just under 7 minutes long. I want to save the file to my desktop for use, so I clicked "Share" and then "File". I've attached a screenshot of what these files look like on my desktop. I have no idea what the bottom file is and if I try to open the .mp4 file I get the error "The file isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player." I assumed that the file is still processing/converting, but I've been letting it work for well over an hour and it has not become a playable file. The "Show Activity" pie chart in the top right corner of iMovie shows that it's working to export the file, but should it really take this long? Is there a fix? Or is there a timeframe I can expect for how long it'll take? I have a bit of a deadline.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 10:59 AM

As long as the temporary file (the blank icon) is still present on your desktop you are correct that the rendering process is either still ongoing, or has stopped before completion. If it is still processing it might still complete. The temporary file will disappear upon completion of the rendering process. However, check to make sure that you have sufficient disk space on your destination drive to receive the movie, and sufficient disk space on your internal drive to enable iMovie to function efficiently. Also, there may be some corruption in the project that is causing a halt to the rendering process. Or there could be some issue with the specific iMovie project.

After confirming that you have sufficient space, go back to your project and do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in the project, and then do an Edit/Paste of the media into a newly created project. Then try to share out from the newly created project. If still no luck, in the new project expand out your timeline with the slider next to the Settings button above the timeline to the right of your screen, and slowly scroll though the timeline. Look for any signs of corruption, such as black frames, white flashes, artifacts, and any other signs of corruption. Cut out any that you find and try to share out again.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2020 10:59 AM in response to magnoliasong

As long as the temporary file (the blank icon) is still present on your desktop you are correct that the rendering process is either still ongoing, or has stopped before completion. If it is still processing it might still complete. The temporary file will disappear upon completion of the rendering process. However, check to make sure that you have sufficient disk space on your destination drive to receive the movie, and sufficient disk space on your internal drive to enable iMovie to function efficiently. Also, there may be some corruption in the project that is causing a halt to the rendering process. Or there could be some issue with the specific iMovie project.

After confirming that you have sufficient space, go back to your project and do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, of the media in the project, and then do an Edit/Paste of the media into a newly created project. Then try to share out from the newly created project. If still no luck, in the new project expand out your timeline with the slider next to the Settings button above the timeline to the right of your screen, and slowly scroll though the timeline. Look for any signs of corruption, such as black frames, white flashes, artifacts, and any other signs of corruption. Cut out any that you find and try to share out again.

-- Rich

Jun 29, 2020 4:58 PM in response to Rich839

Rich, thanks so much for this reply! I did see it at the time, just completely forgot to say thanks. I do think the file was corrupted somehow because it has stopped "working" or progressing in the rendering. I ended up copying the iMovie to my MacBook via iCloud thinking that the processing on my newer MacBook might go faster with the rendering - and that worked! It still took quite a bit of time, but I could see the progress working with that little activity pie chart in the top corner of iMovie the whole time.

Thanks again!

"Share" iMovie to File, try to open and get error "The file isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.