Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not share edited mp4

I have recorded webcam/screenshot videos that I made using software called Studio. Though there is some basic editing in Studio, once I have downloaded an mp4 file it can not be edited again in Studio so I pulled it up into iMovie. Then after spending a couple of hours editing, "Modify" => "Join Clips" is greyed out and I can not share/save the file to use, getting the error message "Share Failed" / "Exporting filename has failed." The details tab says "Exporting filenalme has failed / The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.Compressor.CompressorKit.ErrorDomain error -1.)."

A little research tells me that some mp4 files (what studio downloads as) are incompatible with iMovie (something to do with codecs whatever that is, and something I wish iMovie had given me a error message about hours earlier!). Maybe that is the issue.

I am running iMovie 10.1.4 on OS 10.14.6. Any assistance would be appreciated.

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 8:37 PM

After reading all about the problems with Big Sur I backed up the computer, came up with a an alternate computer plan, broke out the rosary beads and updated to OS 11.0.1 with iMovie 10.2.1 running on my early 2015 MacBook Air (Apple said 11.0.1 should run on Mid 2013 or newer).

Problem solved.

Thanks for all the assistance Rich, I should have tried this first but was nervous based on an earlier experience updating OS on

a computer past its prime.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 8:37 PM in response to Rich839

After reading all about the problems with Big Sur I backed up the computer, came up with a an alternate computer plan, broke out the rosary beads and updated to OS 11.0.1 with iMovie 10.2.1 running on my early 2015 MacBook Air (Apple said 11.0.1 should run on Mid 2013 or newer).

Problem solved.

Thanks for all the assistance Rich, I should have tried this first but was nervous based on an earlier experience updating OS on

a computer past its prime.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Nov 23, 2020 3:05 PM in response to Community User

Hi, Community User,

The first thing is to update your iMovie 10.1.4 to the highest version that your Mojave operating system will run. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You

will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder. See if that helps.

If not, Make a duplicate of one of your clips and convert it to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures the issue.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. Now see if you can share out the converted clip in a new project.

If still no luck, try deleting preferences. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project. Now see if you can share out.

If still no success, then read on. The CompressorKit error is very pesky and has been reported frequently on this forum of late. It seems to be related to an iTunes update that implants a 64 bit architecture into the system library. Thus, some people have solved this by upgrading to Catalina, that is a 64 bit operating system. However, that would render inoperable any legacy 32 bit programs that you may have on your Mac, and also some legacy media would not play in iMovie and would need to be

converted.

Sometimes booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and

immediately shutting down and rebooting in normal mode helps.

Recently there has been a breakthrough on this issue, discovered by nicocaro, who posted a solution on this forum. Below is a link to the thread where he describes how to solve the problem by removing a 64bit architecture from an iTunes update.  Other posters have successfully tried the solution.

Here's the link to nicocaro's solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251266351

And here as well:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251352619

After doing the above your iPhone likely will not sync, although iMovie will work.  To get your iPhone to sync again, see this link that solves that issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251916124?answerId=253660165022&login=true

Here's another link, though older, that describes what others have tried with the Compressor Kit Error:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8265338

There may be some proposed solutions in the above link that will work for you.

All else failing, try calling Apple Support. The techs there are very savvy and also have the capability of remotely accessing your computer. Click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this screen and navigate to a place where you can provide your telephone number so that Apple Support can call you back. I think that the file path is Contact Support/Mac

OS/Applications/iMovie. Good luck with this. If you have time, post back with your results, as it may assist others who have this perplexing issue, and will contribute to our data base.

-- Rich

Nov 24, 2020 1:34 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such such a detailed response, Rich! I'll update the software and then proceed from there. Of course I should have thought to do that in the first place, however a quick web search had turned up something about codec incompatitbility and that distracted me. Software update may well be it since I just remembered that some time ago I was able to do the exact same thing, and so it may just be out-of-date.

I'll update as I work though it.

Thanks again,

Michael

Nov 24, 2020 2:00 PM in response to Community User

The only compatibility issue you could get is that if you updated your operating system to Catalina or Big Sur. Those are 64 bit operating systems. Legacy 32 bit apps won't run on it. Nor would some legacy media play in iMovie unless you convert the clips. If you stay with your present operating system and just update iMovie you should be O.K.

-- Rich

Nov 24, 2020 9:01 PM in response to Community User

:) Lotta Hail Marys there. I know how you feel, because I am running Mojave and have been refraining from upgrading because I have some legacy apps that I use a lot and some Photos app projects in progress and not wanting to upgrade in the middle of them. Catalina had lots of issues, and it was somewhat gutsy for many people to go 64 bit. But, actually, I have not seen as many complaints about Big Sur, so hopefully most of the glitches have been worked out.

Best to you,

-- Rich

Can not share edited mp4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.