Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud management

I currently have an issue with my iCloud. Years ago when I first set my iCloud up, I made the decision to use the same one on my mums iPhone thinking it would be an easy solution. However there have been issues with some of our content being shared, messages, apps, pictures etc.. My mum now has a new iPhone and I am wondering if it wouldn’t be possible to create her a new iCloud for herself and still transfer all of the backup from her current phone over? I had the idea of signing out of my iCloud on her phone and signing in to a new one, backing up the phone (should the messages and pictures remain), then using it to sign in to the new phone so it all appears, if that makes sense? Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 4:04 PM

Hi AQ27,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you have a question about setting up your mom's new iPhone with her own Apple ID, but keeping some of the information, and I'd like to do what I can to help.

Since she has a new iPhone, is she planning on setting up with a backup using your Apple ID? If so, once the iCloud backup is finished loading, she can sign out of your Apple ID and she will be asked if she wants to keep a copy of some of the data on her iPhone. Items such as Contacts, Photos can kept on her iPhone, and will not affect your iPhone.

Sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac

How to create a new Apple ID

She'll then sign in with her own Apple ID. Once she finishes signing in, have her make a new iCloud backup to be kept with her own Apple ID. Sign in with your Apple ID

Back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to iCloud

Some items which can not be saved from your Apple ID are Messages and iCloud backups.

Apps can also not be transferred to another Apple ID. She can go to the App Store and download the apps that she wants.

If she has purchased apps and wants to keep using them, Family Sharing is an option. You can read about that here: Family Sharing

If you want to set up her iPhone as new, with her own Apple ID, you can AirDrop the photos that she wants from your iPhone to hers. It's pretty simple, and quick, as it uses Wi-Fi with Bluetooth enabled. How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Take care!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2020 4:04 PM in response to AQ27

Hi AQ27,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you have a question about setting up your mom's new iPhone with her own Apple ID, but keeping some of the information, and I'd like to do what I can to help.

Since she has a new iPhone, is she planning on setting up with a backup using your Apple ID? If so, once the iCloud backup is finished loading, she can sign out of your Apple ID and she will be asked if she wants to keep a copy of some of the data on her iPhone. Items such as Contacts, Photos can kept on her iPhone, and will not affect your iPhone.

Sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac

How to create a new Apple ID

She'll then sign in with her own Apple ID. Once she finishes signing in, have her make a new iCloud backup to be kept with her own Apple ID. Sign in with your Apple ID

Back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to iCloud

Some items which can not be saved from your Apple ID are Messages and iCloud backups.

Apps can also not be transferred to another Apple ID. She can go to the App Store and download the apps that she wants.

If she has purchased apps and wants to keep using them, Family Sharing is an option. You can read about that here: Family Sharing

If you want to set up her iPhone as new, with her own Apple ID, you can AirDrop the photos that she wants from your iPhone to hers. It's pretty simple, and quick, as it uses Wi-Fi with Bluetooth enabled. How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Take care!

iCloud management

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.