Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a new Apple ID for my husband, who doesn't use iCloud

My husband and I have long shared one Apple ID, which is associated with my email address. I use iCloud for backups and storage but he has his iCloud turned off, which I assume then means all his information, data, photos are stored directly on his device, an iPhone XR. We would like to finally find a way to create a separate Apple ID for him but want to ensure there is a way to transfer everything he has stored on his current device to the new Apple ID. Is there a way to do this? We are planning a phone upgrade for him but want to have this figured out prior to doing that.

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 9:09 AM

Yes. If iCloud is turned off on his device, simply create the Apple ID at https://appleid.apple.com then go into his iPhone at Settings->Account(top of Settings)->scroll to the bottom and tap Sign Out, to sign out of your Apple ID. Then Sign in with his new Apple ID, and under iCloud in that same page turn on the options you want to have synced to iCloud.

It should then sync all the data up to iCloud.

Then go to Settings->Account->Media & Purchases, and again sign out of your Apple ID and sign in with his.

Then if you wish to continue sharing apps and media purchases you can enable Family Sharing.

Repeat for Settings->Messages and Settings->FaceTime to have his Apple ID signed in for all the services.

Click here-> How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

and here-> Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

and here-> Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2021 9:09 AM in response to knaruko11

Yes. If iCloud is turned off on his device, simply create the Apple ID at https://appleid.apple.com then go into his iPhone at Settings->Account(top of Settings)->scroll to the bottom and tap Sign Out, to sign out of your Apple ID. Then Sign in with his new Apple ID, and under iCloud in that same page turn on the options you want to have synced to iCloud.

It should then sync all the data up to iCloud.

Then go to Settings->Account->Media & Purchases, and again sign out of your Apple ID and sign in with his.

Then if you wish to continue sharing apps and media purchases you can enable Family Sharing.

Repeat for Settings->Messages and Settings->FaceTime to have his Apple ID signed in for all the services.

Click here-> How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

and here-> Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

and here-> Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Creating a new Apple ID for my husband, who doesn't use iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.