Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old files created before extensions on the Mac became standard, and have become exec files.

I have old files on a CD (a la 1999) that were created before extensions on the Mac became standard, and have become exec files. They have never been near a Windows computer.

What is the best way to access them?

The Word files seem to be fine, so these may have been Quark or Apple Works.

Currently on an iMac OS X El Capitan. Can't remember which computer I had when these files were saved.

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 8:17 AM

Thanks. I've managed to open most of them but it will be a lot of work to get them back into a format that is useable... still, the information is there. I don't have enough (.cwk) to worry about, and never had ClarisWorks. Thanks again.

8 replies

Jan 29, 2020 10:39 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Hmm, when I click on 'My Subscriptions' this is the only topic that shows... but given that I received an e-mail notification of an answer not appearing on this thread, there is obviously another, or more.

As noted above, I can't even find the thread that your original note about this came from, and no idea how to get to it, but as you say ... if no more answers it will be closed. Attaching a screen shot of what the e-mail link to view the full discussion takes me to. Very confusing.

Thanks again. Now I need to get back to work. ;)

Jan 28, 2020 2:44 PM in response to mare07

They haven't changed, but the OS no longer recognizes the old Type and Creator codes. Giving them a Unix EXEC icon is the same as when Windows gives unknown files an icon of a dog-eared piece of paper with the Windows logo on it. It means, "I have no idea what this is."

If you know what the files are supposed to be, give them a proper extension.

Quark is .qxd

AppleWorks is .cwk

Jan 29, 2020 2:16 AM in response to mare07

The free, LibreOffice can open ClarisWorks 5 and AppleWorks 6 files (*.cwk), provided they are not documents that contain content from multiple AppleWorks tools. Same deal with the respective iWork '09 applications if you still have them installed.

The exec icons won't change with the installation of LibreOffice, but if it can open them, you can then save to Word, Excel, etc. document formats. LibreOffice can also handle Microsoft Works, and several other more ancient document formats. But not Quark files.

Jan 29, 2020 9:37 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt, I got a message suggesting from you that I don't post the same question in various forums. Answering here as I can't even find the thread that your post is from. The e-mail link took me nowhere useful.

I researched this topic and only found similar old questions back 2017, none of which would allow me to post on them... though seems one may have. Sorry, I didn't realize my question had actually posted in any other thread.

As you can surmise, I'm new to these forum and making them work has not been easy. Obviously I and my grey hair will be more careful should I ever pose another question. Thanks for letting me know.

Jan 29, 2020 9:54 AM in response to mare07

No problem. You had posted the same topic four times. The hosts frown on users doing that and I wanted to let you know.

This is a big forum, and it does take time to even just figure out to get back to your own previous posts. The easiest way to do that (once you've logged in) is to click the My Subscriptions link towards the top right of any page.

Yes, old posts get locked. And it doesn't take very long for that to happen once they stop being posted to. It became necessary to do that a while back because of spammers who dig up topics from even years ago for the sole purpose of posting links to their own products.

Old files created before extensions on the Mac became standard, and have become exec files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.