Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File saved but not there...

I recently decided to stop using a file so I renamed it with the word "RETIRED" so it was easier to know what numbers file I will usually want to open in that folder in the future.

After renaming from the top middle part of numbers, I saved the file and then double checked the folder in finder expecting to see the renamed file.

When I open the file (from finder), I only see the old file so I check the recent menu from numbers and see the new file. Opening the new "RETIRED" file from recents and checking the file structure from numbers, it's saying it the new file is the only one that exists.

This file is on a NAS drive, I tried restarting the mac and am running 10.15.7

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 2:52 PM

It sounds more like a Finder/NAS problem than a Numbers problem but it is hard to tell.

First thing I would do is make a duplicate and save it somewhere else, like on your HD. Better safe than sorry.

You were able to open it up using the Recents list so it is saved somewhere. If the file structure as seen in Numbers points to where you think it should be, then you would think that's where it is. I don't know enough about the inner workings of Numbers and the Recents menu to know if Numbers could be listing the new name there for you to see but never actually changed the name in the file system and is still using the old name to open it. I think it unlikely but I can't say 100%. This menu item and the way you renamed the file in Numbers are used across a lot of apps so you would think they would work correctly.

What happens if you use Finder to open the file? Does it open? What name does it have in Numbers when it is opened this way, assuming it opens?

Can you reboot the NAS to maybe get the name to refresh?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 2:52 PM in response to WaHaHapndWuz

It sounds more like a Finder/NAS problem than a Numbers problem but it is hard to tell.

First thing I would do is make a duplicate and save it somewhere else, like on your HD. Better safe than sorry.

You were able to open it up using the Recents list so it is saved somewhere. If the file structure as seen in Numbers points to where you think it should be, then you would think that's where it is. I don't know enough about the inner workings of Numbers and the Recents menu to know if Numbers could be listing the new name there for you to see but never actually changed the name in the file system and is still using the old name to open it. I think it unlikely but I can't say 100%. This menu item and the way you renamed the file in Numbers are used across a lot of apps so you would think they would work correctly.

What happens if you use Finder to open the file? Does it open? What name does it have in Numbers when it is opened this way, assuming it opens?

Can you reboot the NAS to maybe get the name to refresh?

File saved but not there...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.