Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My @mac.com emails go to recipients junk folders intermittently.

My @mac.com emails go to recipients junk folders intermittently. They have marked them as Not Junk and made sure my email was in their address books. This happens with multiple platforms. Any ideas about what's happening and how to fix this?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 28, 2020 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 10:41 AM

Glassespad wrote:

My @mac.com emails go to recipients junk folders intermittently. They have marked them as Not Junk and made sure my email was in their address books. This happens with multiple platforms. Any ideas about what's happening and how to fix this?

*If you use a non-iCloud SMTP server, don't use your iCloud email address as a "Send From" address. Otherwise, your email

might not deliver or it might deliver to the Junk folder.

ref: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203528

Using your @icloud.com email address - Apple Support

Mail server settings for iCloud email clients - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2020 10:41 AM in response to Glassespad

Glassespad wrote:

*If you use a non-iCloud SMTP server, don't use your iCloud email address as a "Send From" address. Otherwise, your email

might not deliver or it might deliver to the Junk folder.

ref: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203528

Using your @icloud.com email address - Apple Support

Mail server settings for iCloud email clients - Apple Support

Jan 28, 2020 10:11 PM in response to Glassespad

First read the "Does iCloud Mail support DMARC?" section on:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204137

This is Apple's DMARC policy:

v=DMARC1; p=quarantine; rua=mailto:d@rua.agari.com; ruf=mailto:d@ruf.agari.com;

p=quarantine means to put the message in the Junkmail folder if there are ANY problems. It looks like the recipient server is diligently following the DMARC policy from mac.com. In short, your messages are SUPPOSED TO GO INTO THE JUNKMAIL FOLDER.

Problems with Mac.com's outgoing records

SPF

Mac.com does not have an IPv6 block listed in it's SPF record. Unless iCloud.com is restricting SMTP to IPv4 only, recipients like Gmail is going to accept IPv6 connections, then fail the SPF authentication. Also Apple is designating small blocks which is not recommended for SPF.

DKIM

Apple does not publish DKIM records via DNS, so we can only check by looking at the headers of the messages that did make it in to the recipients Junkmail box.

Diagnosis

View the source of one of the mac.com messages in the recipient's junkmail box and look for the SPF= and DKIM= entry in the header section. If they're anything other than pass, then the recipient server is following the DKIM policy correctly.

SPF, DKIM, and DMARC authentication all have to work together for very strict mail services like Gmail to accept messages. Without them, any spam-like behavior will send a red flag. Any message with a URL, multiple recipients, including an image; will be designated as spam.

Because of different mail providers having drastically different security policies, sending mail fails. At least this way, the recipient receives the message (straight to junk).

My @mac.com emails go to recipients junk folders intermittently.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.