Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backing up files from "files" on ipad to icloud

So on my ipad in files a have a file. how is that backed up to icloud? I dont see a setting for this?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 8:13 AM

How the local (i.e., on your iPad) file is backed-up to iCloud will depend upon what it is...

If the file relates to an installed App - for which you will find a corresponding “switch” to enable iCloud sync in your iCloud Settings (look in the section entitled “Apps using iCloud”) - then, if enabled, the corresponding App takes care of the backup.

If the local file does not specifically relate to an App supported by iCloud, or is simply a file that appears within the device filesystem, then it will be included in a device backup - either iCloud or iTunes. No explicit setting is required.

I hope you find this to be helpful.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2020 8:13 AM in response to j-McBrat

How the local (i.e., on your iPad) file is backed-up to iCloud will depend upon what it is...

If the file relates to an installed App - for which you will find a corresponding “switch” to enable iCloud sync in your iCloud Settings (look in the section entitled “Apps using iCloud”) - then, if enabled, the corresponding App takes care of the backup.

If the local file does not specifically relate to an App supported by iCloud, or is simply a file that appears within the device filesystem, then it will be included in a device backup - either iCloud or iTunes. No explicit setting is required.

I hope you find this to be helpful.

backing up files from "files" on ipad to icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.