Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac running slower and slower despite disk cleanups

I have an old MacBook Pro (13inch, early 2011). As it has slowed down over the years, I have deleted at least 10 big applications to free up space. All my old Adobe products have gone and now I'm on Creative Cloud with just a few essential programs downloaded. I've gotten rid of things like GarangeBand, Final Cut. I've cleared out caches, offloaded many video files to external HDs. And yet my HD always fills right back up and I can often not even open a photo in Photoshop, because the scratch disks are full. My OS is Sierra. Why, despite these repeated cleanups, am I still out of space and the machine so slow? I used to store so much more on this machine?!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 9:38 AM

Please download and run Etrecheck  It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. Also it will give us further specs on your Mac. After it runs post the log file here. It will contain no personal information. Allowing full drive access will improve the quality of the report.

To post the log file click on share report and use the Additional Text icon in your reply window.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2020 9:38 AM in response to tresbon1

Please download and run Etrecheck  It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. Also it will give us further specs on your Mac. After it runs post the log file here. It will contain no personal information. Allowing full drive access will improve the quality of the report.

To post the log file click on share report and use the Additional Text icon in your reply window.

Mac running slower and slower despite disk cleanups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.