You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jumpy cursor

How do I keep the cursor from jumping around erratically when I'm composing in Word in my new MacBook Air?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 2:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 9:03 AM

Hello,

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

˜What all 3rd party extensions are you running?

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Or use the paperclip at the bottom of a Reply to attach the full report here. :)

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2020 9:03 AM in response to SKDC

Hello,

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

˜What all 3rd party extensions are you running?

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Or use the paperclip at the bottom of a Reply to attach the full report here. :)

Mar 18, 2020 6:26 AM in response to SKDC

See my recent thread: Erratic, Unstable, Jerky Trackpad Cursor

As you'll see from Leroy's very helpful replies it could be serious in worst a case scenario. Check your casing and check the health of your battery in \System Report\Power.

I need to get my battery replaced or serviced but I think the immediate problem for me could be traced back to the power supply. I'm still testing but my cursor has stable and accurate for some time now since I swapped the extension cable from my wall socket.

After you make sure you're battery hasn't swollen then I'd recommend a shutdown, unplug the power supply, use battery only. If it's now stable try a spare power supply if you have one, or plug into a different extension cable if your using one, or you might try a different wall socket although I'm not sure that would make much difference unless it's on a different ring main.

Good luck with.

K

Mar 10, 2020 6:30 AM in response to SKDC

Did you find a solution?

I booted in safe mode and the problem was still there, even on the login screen. However when I then booted normally the problem appeared to have gone.

After a few minutes though the cursor again seems a bit erratic although less than before, it's just not quite accurate enough for comfort, lacking precision. Any help would be much appreciated.

ALERT

Having been rebooted for around fifteen minutes now the problem has returned with a vengeance.

Apr 7, 2020 6:58 AM in response to SKDC

Here's another thing to check. Many people have trackpad taps turned on and that will make the cursor move to different places!

Go to System Preferences, Trackpad, Point and Click tab, and turn OFF (uncheck) the Tap to Click option.

That cursor jumping happens a lot when that it is on and your palm or other part of your hand touches the trackpad!

Jumpy cursor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.