Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari sometimes closes new tabs before the new web page opens

Hi Y'all.

I have a bit of a strange issue here.

For a few months now i have had new tabs disappearing in Safari.

When i use command T to open a new tab it appears no problem. But sometimes after i type the new web address into the browser bar once i hit return the tab just disappears rather than opening the new address. If i then go to the edit drop down and reopen last closed tab it comes back but with the same web address that it had before i typed the new one in.

If i then try to repeat the process it sometimes disappears a second time but usually on the third attempt it will work and i can access the new web address.

This does not always happen, often i can open a new tab and then add the web address and it goes there fine.

Notes: i may add, I am connecting my macbook via wifi to a personal hotspot on my phone which is using 3G. It's not the best connection and sometimes a new page will become stuck and won't load up immediately. Sometimes this is helped by trying to refresh another tab or even try to open a web page up on my phone and then close it again.

Another issue i have had with Safari for several years now is that when i use Facebook messenger on the macbook the text in the message boxes at the bottom of the screen is all patchy, sometimes it's even slightly difficult to make out the letters like they are over exposed or have too much contrast yet my contrast is down and there is no such issue when using Firefox.

Macbook pro 13 inch late 2011

16gb ram

El Capitan 10.11.6

Safari 11.1.2

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 2:42 PM

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2020 2:42 PM in response to izzzzzz6

Are you running any anti - virus programs? Using a VPN?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

Safari sometimes closes new tabs before the new web page opens

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.