Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete Photo Cache from MacBook Pro

My 250Gigs of storage on my mac says I only have 10G available space. It says that my Photos are taking up 200G but I know that is incorrect. My photos only have about 30G and recently I have been deleting tons of photos from my Mac. I believe I need to delete my cache from Photos. I already emptied the trash from Photos. Online says I should:

1. Open Finder, and choose Go > Home > Pictures (or click on the Pictures folder in the left sidebar).
  2. If you are running macOS 10.12.6, the iPod Photo Cache folder will be right there. If it isn't, continue with the following steps.
  3. Right-click on the Photos Library, iPhoto Library, or Aperture Library file.
  4. Choose “Show Package Contents“.
  5. Remove the “iPod Photo Cache” or “Apple TV Photo Cache” folder by dragging it into Trash. Don't touch any other file or folder in this window, as you may lose data or corrupt your photo library.

However, when I choose " show package contents," I do not see "Ipod Photo Cache."

Can someone clear up how to properly delete my photo cache from this mac?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 9:00 PM

2 replies

Jan 30, 2020 1:28 AM in response to daren259

You will not necessarily be seeing a cache in your Photos Library. Have you ever been syncing your Photos Library with iTunes to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod? This cache will be created when syncing with iTunes. Otherwise there will be no such cache.

Which system version is running on your mac? Is the signature below your question "MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14" still valid? for Photos 5.0 on macOS 10.15 Catalina the syncing with iOS devices is no longer done by iTunes the iPod Photo Cache is much smaller than previously.

Delete Photo Cache from MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.