Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am very sorry that I have uploaded to FCPX 10.4.8 and Cathalina. I can no longer work with FCPX in combination with photos. I still don't have the subdivision by photos, moments, sets, years, people, shared and albums,

I am very sorry that I have uploaded to FCPX 10.4.8 and Cathalina. I can no longer work with FCPX in combination with photos. I hope you fix that very quickly.

I still don't have the subdivision by photos, moments, sets, years, people, shared and albums, and unlike earlier versions of fcpx, it's extremely slow. It seems as if the photos have to be reloaded every time, that takes a long time. Every time I leave photos to go to my project or to generators or titles, the photos are reloaded and that takes a long time. That was not the case with earlier versions of FCPX.

I have now been forced to switch to my iPad and lumafusion. I do have the subdivision there and I can achieve photos directly. This is also the case with motion. With both programs photos work just as fast as I am used to.

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 3:35 AM

Photos is not a good place to keep your movies.

Rather than import them to Photos, the standard recommendation is to import them directly from the phone to FCP X, or to use Image Capture.

I have just now realized that for movies that are already in Photos, dragging directly to FCP X does not work (I just had to add a test movie, since I do not use Photos for movies; the result is a still image, not a video). It does work if you drag the movie to a folder in the Finder, and then drag that to FCP X.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2020 3:35 AM in response to koentje

Photos is not a good place to keep your movies.

Rather than import them to Photos, the standard recommendation is to import them directly from the phone to FCP X, or to use Image Capture.

I have just now realized that for movies that are already in Photos, dragging directly to FCP X does not work (I just had to add a test movie, since I do not use Photos for movies; the result is a still image, not a video). It does work if you drag the movie to a folder in the Finder, and then drag that to FCP X.

Jan 30, 2020 8:22 AM in response to koentje

First of all, you should be aware that you are not talking to Apple. We are all just users like you.

You may want to let Apple know by using the feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Second, all we can offer are workarounds. And there is a very decent workaround for navigating your Photos library with all the options... use Photos itself.

Command-tab is your friend.

Rather than clicking the Photos tab in FCP X's browser, command-tab to Photos proper. Let FCP X still at the clips browser. Navigate as you need inside Photos. If there is a photo or photos you want to use in FCP X, start dragging in Photos, press command-tab to switch back to FCP X, and drop. Done.

Jan 30, 2020 10:05 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis, Thanks for the quick response. I have complained a few times via FCPX feedback. By the way, I wonder if I am the only one complaining about this?
Thanks also for the tip. It's a solution, works fast, better than just waiting for photos in fcpx to be reloaded every time, but not like I'm used to in previous versions of FCPX. So pending a better version of FCPX I will use your tip. This then gives no more frustration about FCPX. gr. Ton Koenders

Jan 31, 2020 7:51 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for this tip. Awaiting a new update of FCPX, I think this is the fastest method. Drag to finder and from finder to fcpx. Every time you leave photos in fcpx to work in your project, photos must be reloaded afterwards. That takes a long time. I continue to find it unbelievable that FCPX does not help in the short term. Until then I will work according to your tip or work in Lumafusion on my ipad.

Gr. Ton

Jan 31, 2020 7:51 AM in response to koentje

Thanks for this tip. Awaiting a new update of FCPX, I think this is the fastest method. Drag to finder and from finder to fcpx. Every time you leave photos in fcpx to work in your project, photos must be reloaded afterwards. That takes a long time. I continue to find it unbelievable that FCPX does not help in the short term. Until then I will work according to your tip or work in Lumafusion on my ipad.

I am very sorry that I have uploaded to FCPX 10.4.8 and Cathalina. I can no longer work with FCPX in combination with photos. I still don't have the subdivision by photos, moments, sets, years, people, shared and albums,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.