Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there no "Duplicate" folder in Photos, contrary to Support referenced material advising how to remove duplicate photos?

Why is there no "Duplicate" folder in Photos, contrary to Support referenced material advising how to remove duplicate photos?

Duplicate photos led me to try a duplicate photo removing app, where I lost a substantial number of important photos. I WILL NOT use apple photos if I cannot find a solution. 20 year user, sick of this.

Running OS X 11.7, importing from iPhone via lightning cable running iOS 16.1.2

My photo stream is turned on, but I refuse to fully sync anymore tried that for years, just created these issues.

There is no folder "duplicates" as apple references in their help section. I will upload a screen shot if neccessary. Did I miss an update? I hate updating. It just ruins everything everytime.

Secondary issue, I select "Delete items after import" when I import photos to attempt to resolve this issue. Sometimes it deletes them, often it does not, thereby probably adding to the issue the next time I import photos.

Is there a different platform software that people use that isn't so locked in to updates and fancy stuff? Like just a freaking photo library where 1+1=2?

Thanks,

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 9:02 AM

I have had my Macbook running for a decent amount of time each week, sometimes with caffeine on. I have had this library for over a year, I have never seen a duplicates folder. This is not what is going on. thanks.

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 1, 2023 9:00 AM in response to davidfromlyons

The Duplicates folder doesn't appear until Photos is finished scanning the library for duplicates, faces, objects, etc. It will depend on how big your library is, how many videos as each frame of a video is scanned and if you leave Photos on and in the background while you're using the MBP. It's also advised to leave the MBP on at night with Photos open and in the background.

For example with a 7500 and 150 video library, it took nearly 48 hours for two newly added duplicates to show up in a library that already had been scanned fully. Patience is a virtue and a must in this case.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.