What if there's no status message anywhere? PHOTOS

Re: This link: If your iCloud Photos aren't syncing to your device - Apple Support

I see no status. My iPhone apparently has the Photos synced with the iCloud as I can sort of see the 5,700 photos. I didn't check them all.

I have 3 photo libraries apparently on my Mac. One stops at 2012. One in 2018. One in 2021.

However, in all of those libraries on the Mac Photos, the total number of photos shows 1100.

There are 5300+ in the iCloud. How do I get the Mac to sync.

There is no status message after following the steps in that link.

Any idea?

PS When I make sure I've opened the Main Library I do see this. Haven't a clue as to what "5 items on this Mac only" means or how to filter for those to see them. None of the other libraries show a status. Would love to be able to merge those somehow but I'm sure that's another college level class :-)

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 2:29 PM

Are you signed into iCloud Photos on your Mac? It is under AppleID System Settings, iCloud, Photos.

In your Photos Preferences, check to see if you are using the System Library. iCloud Photos will only sync with the System Library. You need to open the Library you want to sync and set it as the System Library.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 6, 2023 2:46 PM in response to TuckerdogAVL

TuckerdogAVL wrote:

Yes, Photos is checked. How to I check to see if the Mac and iCloud are syncing to the main library in the future? It appears the library I was looking at wasn't earlier wasn't the main one, hence only seeing 1000 photos prior to 2021. I'm seeing the 5300+ photos on the Mac and iCloud. What does "5 items on This Mac Only" mean and how do I see them?

I think that means what it says. Of the 5300+ photos, only 5 are fully downloaded to the Mac. The rest are in iCloud.

And is there any way to combine all these libraries? I think they got created in upgrades and updates. Thanks for the quick response.

Import photos from another library in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Jun 6, 2023 2:40 PM in response to Barney-15E

Yes, Photos is checked. How to I check to see if the Mac and iCloud are syncing to the main library in the future? It appears the library I was looking at wasn't earlier wasn't the main one, hence only seeing 1000 photos prior to 2021. I'm seeing the 5300+ photos on the Mac and iCloud. What does "5 items on This Mac Only" mean and how do I see them?

And is there any way to combine all these libraries? I think they got created in upgrades and updates. Thanks for the quick response.

Jun 6, 2023 2:53 PM in response to Barney-15E

So, if I choose one of these libraries (and I am assuming they aren't in the iCloud since they aren't the Main Library), then they will be saved in both the Mac Main Library and the iCloud. So, caveat: What happens if halfway through one of the export/imports I run out of iCloud space? How do I stop so I can go a different route rather than having to go from 200gb to 1TB of iCloud?

And there's no way to actually figure out what five are on the Mac and not in the cloud?

What if there's no status message anywhere? PHOTOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.