Photos stuck on syncing just 2 items to iCloud

Hello. I have a small but annoying issue! The Photos app on my Mac says it's 'Syncing 2 items to iCloud' – and has been saying so for several hours! I checked my Photos app on my iPhone and, sure enough, the totals are indeed showing 2 fewer photos than on the Mac – so, yes, there are definitely 2 extra items on the Mac which aren't going to iCloud and thus are not visible on my other iCloud devices. My question is: is there a way to IDENTIFY these 2 photos that the Mac version seems to be struggling with? (For context: I have 53,373 photos on the Mac and 53,371 photos showing up on the iPhone!) Thank you very much 😃

Mac mini, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 2:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 9:28 AM

Fixed itself (ish!). After another 24 hours of apparent inactivity, Photos belatedly reported 'Unable to upload 2 photos' and then finally gave me an option to view them. So I was able to export them – they were just two very old JPGs from 2007 – and to reimport them. So all good! I guess it must have been silently cataloguing in the background, perhaps working backwards through all 53,373 pictures?! Phew! Case closed.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2023 9:28 AM in response to Pixelator

Fixed itself (ish!). After another 24 hours of apparent inactivity, Photos belatedly reported 'Unable to upload 2 photos' and then finally gave me an option to view them. So I was able to export them – they were just two very old JPGs from 2007 – and to reimport them. So all good! I guess it must have been silently cataloguing in the background, perhaps working backwards through all 53,373 pictures?! Phew! Case closed.

Nov 27, 2023 7:24 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Hi Richard, Thanks for replying. Yes I did try that actually, but unfortunately Photos doesn't seem to 'know' that it's unable to upload them! So it just keeps trying, endlessly, to upload these 2 pictures, which even it can't see properly, in some sort of hopeless quest! All I want to know is what they are, so that I can do something to fix them. Thank you though.

Photos stuck on syncing just 2 items to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.