Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to delete backup on airport time capsule

How do I delete a backup on an airport time capsule?

I'm running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 10:52 AM

Unfortunately, it used to be easy to delete only one backup file and leave others intact on the Time Capsule, but there have been issues with this in Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina.

No guarantees, but it might be worth a try.

Open any Finder window on your Mac and look for the Locations or Devices heading on the left panel of the window

Click on the name of the Time Capsule under that heading

Another window will open to the right. You may be asked to enter the Time Capsule admin password

A folder named "Data"......unless you have changed the name of the Time Capsule disk......will appear

Double click on Data to mount it on the desktop

If all is well so far, you will see a file for each of the Macs that have been backing up with the name of the Mac as part of the file.

Click on the file that you want to delete to highlight it

Click the Gear icon at the top of the window and select Move to Trash

With luck, the file will be deleted in 5-10 minutes

I last tried to delete an individual backup with Mojave. My Mac froze after a minute of two after clicking Move to Trash and I had to power off the Mac and restart to get back to normal. After several tries, I concluded that I was not going to be able to delete the backup of the Mac.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2020 10:52 AM in response to John Link

Unfortunately, it used to be easy to delete only one backup file and leave others intact on the Time Capsule, but there have been issues with this in Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina.

No guarantees, but it might be worth a try.

Open any Finder window on your Mac and look for the Locations or Devices heading on the left panel of the window

Click on the name of the Time Capsule under that heading

Another window will open to the right. You may be asked to enter the Time Capsule admin password

A folder named "Data"......unless you have changed the name of the Time Capsule disk......will appear

Double click on Data to mount it on the desktop

If all is well so far, you will see a file for each of the Macs that have been backing up with the name of the Mac as part of the file.

Click on the file that you want to delete to highlight it

Click the Gear icon at the top of the window and select Move to Trash

With luck, the file will be deleted in 5-10 minutes

I last tried to delete an individual backup with Mojave. My Mac froze after a minute of two after clicking Move to Trash and I had to power off the Mac and restart to get back to normal. After several tries, I concluded that I was not going to be able to delete the backup of the Mac.

Jan 30, 2020 9:20 AM in response to John Link

To remove everything on the Time Capsule disk, you can erase the Time Capsule disk as follows:

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the Time Capsule to select it

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Disks tab at the top of the next window

Click Erase Disk

Check to make sure that the Quick Erase option is selected if you plan to keep the Time Capsule

Click Erase

If you are planning to sell or give the Time Capsule to another user, then you should select the Zero Out Disk option instead of the Quick Erase, which will replace everything on the Time Capsule disk with zeros

Need to delete backup on airport time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.