Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone replaced after warranty expiration, so the new device comes with warranty?

My iphone X screen was malfuctioning, so my device got replaced under the iphoneX screen replacement program,

does my new replaced device have warranty?

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 12:46 PM

If it were repaired, the replaced parts and the workmanship would have been warrantied for 90 days or the remainder of the original warranty or AppleCare. Anything not relating to the repair wouldn't be warrantied, such as a battery failure unless it could be attributed to workmanship during the repair (i.e. damaged during disassembly).

For any kind of complete device service replacement (essentially one repair part), the warranty is for the longer of 90 days or the remainder of the warranty/AppleCare for the entire device.

Here's the Apple retail store repair terms for the United States, which are similar around the world:

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/terms/repair/Retail_Repair_US_Terms_Conditions.html
Apple warrants for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of service (1) that service will be performed in a competent and workmanlike manner and (2) that all parts used to service your product will be free from defects in materials and workmanship, unless otherwise specified by Apple.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2020 12:46 PM in response to rahul147

If it were repaired, the replaced parts and the workmanship would have been warrantied for 90 days or the remainder of the original warranty or AppleCare. Anything not relating to the repair wouldn't be warrantied, such as a battery failure unless it could be attributed to workmanship during the repair (i.e. damaged during disassembly).

For any kind of complete device service replacement (essentially one repair part), the warranty is for the longer of 90 days or the remainder of the warranty/AppleCare for the entire device.

Here's the Apple retail store repair terms for the United States, which are similar around the world:

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/terms/repair/Retail_Repair_US_Terms_Conditions.html
Apple warrants for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of service (1) that service will be performed in a competent and workmanlike manner and (2) that all parts used to service your product will be free from defects in materials and workmanship, unless otherwise specified by Apple.

Jan 30, 2020 2:19 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:
Apple is generally very clear about those things. It would have mentioned the 90 days of warranty as they do normally. The fact they don't and specify the warranty is not extended is what leads me to that conclusion.

It says that the **program** doesn't extend the standard warranty coverage. Upon further reading, I take it to mean that it doesn't mean the device carries a 3 year warranty. Apple has terms for anything outside of Apple retail, warranty, or AppleCare repair. That has a service warranty of 90 days.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/terms/repair/generalservice/servicetermsen/
3.1 Service Warranty. For all service orders, Apple warrants that (1) services performed will conform to their description for ninety (90) days from the date of service, (2) except for batteries described in the subsection below, all parts or products used in service will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for ninety (90) days from the date of service, and (3) batteries installed as part of Apple’s battery replacement service for Apple portable Mac computers will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for one year from the date of service. This warranty is an express limited warranty. If non-conforming service is provided or a defect arises in a replacement part or product during the applicable warranty period, Apple will at its option, either (a) re-perform services to conform to their description (b) repair or replace the part or product, using parts or products that are new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (c) refund the sums paid to Apple for service.

Jan 30, 2020 12:52 PM in response to y_p_w

The specific program for the screen issues with the iphone X specifically states it does not extend the warranty.

Regular repairs, and replacements when done under warranty would.

But special replacement programs have their own terms and conditions. I would be shocked if it suddenly acquired 90 days of warranty after the out of warranty replacement.

Jan 30, 2020 1:20 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

The specific program for the screen issues with the iphone X specifically states it does not extend the warranty.

Regular repairs, and replacements when done under warranty would.

But special replacement programs have their own terms and conditions. I would be shocked if it suddenly acquired 90 days of warranty after the out of warranty replacement.

How do you interpret that though? I don't think it's necessarily a tenable position that the repair (and the mention is of replacing of the screen assembly) doesn't have a short warranty. The terms say that it doesn't extend the "standard warranty", so it could just mean that the entirety of the repaired device doesn't suddenly have a new warranty.

I've seen some pretty odd warrantied replacements too. I got an accessory replaced under warranty, which was processed as a retail refund and equal purchase like it was an even exchange. The manager at the Apple Store said that I could use that receipt for a full one year warranty on the accessory even though it was for an accessory included with a device.

Iphone replaced after warranty expiration, so the new device comes with warranty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.