Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Code -36 while transferring photo library to external hard drive

I keep getting a -36 error code when transfering my library to a external hard drive. I have taken all the steps to repair library and also permission. It stops transferring half way thru.

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 5:26 AM

MacOS Extended (Journaled) alone does not suffice, if one if the drives is formatted also case-sensitive. Both drives should be formatted without the case-sensitive option. And your external drive must not be used by Time Machine. Try to enable the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" option, if you have not yet done so. That will prevent permission and file ownership errors.

An error -36 can also be caused by incompatible filenames - filenames that are too long or contain ctrl-characters. This can happen, if you imported image files from third-party applications, that write illegal characters into a filename.

If all fails to copy the library to your external drive, you have two options:

• The easy way out would be to use cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to copy the library over. But this way the unreadable files will remain dormant in the copied library and may be causing problems later.
  • You can also create a new folder on the external drive. Name it "Photos Library Copy", without any filename extension. Then open the library package on your system drive by ctrl-clicking it and using "Show Package contents". Now copy each subfolder individually to the new folder on your external drive.
  • If a subfolder fails to copy and you get again the -36 error, check how far the copy succeeded and then look, which item should have been copied next and failed. Skip it and copy the remaining items. This is the advantage of copying the subfolders individually. We can check, where the copy failed and detect the culprits.
  • Once you copied everything that can be copied, append the filename extension ".photoslibrary" to the name of the copy. The icon should change to the Photos Library icon. Now double click the copy to open it in Photos. Can this copy be opened in Photos and does it work?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2020 5:26 AM in response to Dara

MacOS Extended (Journaled) alone does not suffice, if one if the drives is formatted also case-sensitive. Both drives should be formatted without the case-sensitive option. And your external drive must not be used by Time Machine. Try to enable the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" option, if you have not yet done so. That will prevent permission and file ownership errors.

An error -36 can also be caused by incompatible filenames - filenames that are too long or contain ctrl-characters. This can happen, if you imported image files from third-party applications, that write illegal characters into a filename.

If all fails to copy the library to your external drive, you have two options:

• The easy way out would be to use cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to copy the library over. But this way the unreadable files will remain dormant in the copied library and may be causing problems later.
  • You can also create a new folder on the external drive. Name it "Photos Library Copy", without any filename extension. Then open the library package on your system drive by ctrl-clicking it and using "Show Package contents". Now copy each subfolder individually to the new folder on your external drive.
  • If a subfolder fails to copy and you get again the -36 error, check how far the copy succeeded and then look, which item should have been copied next and failed. Skip it and copy the remaining items. This is the advantage of copying the subfolders individually. We can check, where the copy failed and detect the culprits.
  • Once you copied everything that can be copied, append the filename extension ".photoslibrary" to the name of the copy. The icon should change to the Photos Library icon. Now double click the copy to open it in Photos. Can this copy be opened in Photos and does it work?

Feb 3, 2020 3:46 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you for responding. The drive was formatted to MAC (I also spent an hour with Apple care. I have optimized and “cleaned” the photo library twice. I am connected they USB hard wire from drive directly to my desktop.

any advice is welcomed. I am trying to store 30k images on this drive to free up space

Error Code -36 while transferring photo library to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.