You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung Television UN65MU6290F Apple TV Problem

My Samsung TV turns on and off while I am using Apple TV.

Usually (not always) when I press the menu the button, my Samsung TV turns on and off. This also occurs occasionally when watching a Youtube video when the screen darkens. It is as though the Samsung thinks the Apple TV has turned off and the TV wants to turn off too. This did not happen with my old TV, a Sony.

My software is up to date on both the TV and the Apple TV. Samsung customer service believes this to be an Apple issue.

Is there a remedy?

Thank you.

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 9:37 AM

4 replies

Jan 31, 2020 7:32 PM in response to LINVS

LINVS wrote:

I suspect it’s a software issue that will hopefully be addressed in a future update.

That would be up to Samsung to address as they have their own implementation of CEC and are responsible for fixing any issues that occur. Turning the feature off/on on Apple TV simply enables and disables the communication with the host device (TV) but it is dependent on that device's implementation of the protocol in order to function as intended. In the event that Apple TV did cause an issue it would be easy to reproduce and this forum would be full of reports, including numerous responses in this thread. None of which is the case. In fact there was a case some time ago where a group of users were having this issue with their LG sets, some contacted LG who then issued a workaround while they investigated and once they did push out their firmware the issue was resolved.

Feb 1, 2020 9:39 AM in response to vazandrew

Thank you for your input.

I suppose there are not many others experiencing this issue because most don’t use Apple TV with this model of Samsung TV. The TV is a “smart” TV since it provides internet capabilities - Netflix, Youtube, etc. I only use an Apple TV with it because I use the Bluetooth feature on the Apple TV for wireless headphones. This model of Samsung TV doesn’t have that capability.

Samsung Television UN65MU6290F Apple TV Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.