Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I Setup The Touch ID Of My iPhone If It Has Problems?

I have an iPhone 6 Plus(iOS 12.4.5). The Touch ID of my iPhone has problems. Some times when I use the Touch ID to unlock the iPhone, it shows "Try Again".

My cousin uses my iPhone.

My question is: Is it better not to setup the Touch ID at all (neither for me nor my cousin)? So I just click the Home Button and enter the Passcode? Will my iPhone show "Try Again" if I do not setup the Touch ID?

Posted on Jan 31, 2020 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 5:04 PM

If it occasionally says, "Try Again", that doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with your Touch ID. It could mean that your finger is cold, or wet, or, if it's winter where you are, has gotten dry and cracked (I haven't been able to use my thumb for Touch ID since November because of that). It could also mean that your finger just isn't line up properly.

Having Touch ID set up won't hurt anything, even if it stops working. If you don't have Touch ID enabled, it can't ask you to "Try Again" because it was never looking for your fingerprint in the first place.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2020 5:04 PM in response to EDLIU

If it occasionally says, "Try Again", that doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with your Touch ID. It could mean that your finger is cold, or wet, or, if it's winter where you are, has gotten dry and cracked (I haven't been able to use my thumb for Touch ID since November because of that). It could also mean that your finger just isn't line up properly.

Having Touch ID set up won't hurt anything, even if it stops working. If you don't have Touch ID enabled, it can't ask you to "Try Again" because it was never looking for your fingerprint in the first place.

Should I Setup The Touch ID Of My iPhone If It Has Problems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.