Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Library started a repair but stopped

I started a library repair but it stopped shortly afterwards at 5% as it keeps pinging the following message at the top of the screen "The library “Photos Library” has inconsistencies that must be repaired." even though it is repairing. I click "ok" but it comes back a second or two later. The photo library is on an external hard drive that I've been successfully using for years.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 3:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 4:46 AM

Is the system version shown below your post still valid? "MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13"?

If you just upgraded to macOS 10.15 Catalina, the external drives you have used before may mo longer be compatible. Make sure

• that your external drive has not been used for Time Machine backups,
  • that the file system format is MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS and not case-sensitive,
  • that the drive is locally mounted and not accessed over the network.

See:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac – Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2020 4:46 AM in response to Bertosis

Is the system version shown below your post still valid? "MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13"?

If you just upgraded to macOS 10.15 Catalina, the external drives you have used before may mo longer be compatible. Make sure

• that your external drive has not been used for Time Machine backups,
  • that the file system format is MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS and not case-sensitive,
  • that the drive is locally mounted and not accessed over the network.

See:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac – Apple Support

Feb 3, 2020 2:07 AM in response to Bertosis

Can you set the ignore ownership flag on the external volume, as described here? https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517 (the checkmark at the bottom of the Info for the external volume). You can see the file system format, if you click the disclosure triangle to the left of "General" in the Info.

• If you can enable the checkmark try to repair the library on the external volume again. To be sure, that Photos is repairing the correct library, select the library on the external volume, then keep holding down the key combination ⌥⌘ while double clicking the library, not the Photos.app.
  • If you cannot set the ignore ownership flag the drive is not safe to use for a Photos library and you may have the same trouble over and over again, unless you format the volume. But you have to save all your data from the drive somewhere else, because reformatting will erase it.

Feb 2, 2020 10:53 AM in response to léonie

I'm still on 10.13.6 and the hard drive isn't used as a time machine but it is MacOS Extended (journaled) I believe it was locally mounted as I could access all the data on there but I am not completely certain about this. If I do update the lap top should I leave the hard drive mounted? For now I have re-imported the images from the master file with-in the old photos library, this is frustrating though as I've lost all the meta data including favourites and albums. If I can repair this library it'll be amazing. It's also un deleted ALOT of photos, too much work to do again!

Photos Library started a repair but stopped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.