Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not open or repair Photos Library

Trying to fix problem of multiple libraries. The one I've been using last couple of years now can't open or repair. When try to open, I get, "Photos was unable to open the library “MBP>08/17.photoslibrary”. (5416)"

When opened repair screen and clicked on the library, I got this: "Photos was unable to open the library “MBP>08/17.photoslibrary”. (3142)” I posted on that problem yesterday, but no response.

What do alerts 5416 and 3142 mean? Anything?

thanks

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 8:35 AM

Try, if renaming the library will help.

The filename of the Photos Library “MBP>08/17.photoslibrary” is very problematic, as the characters ">" and "/" are having a special meaning in the shell. Can Photos open or repair the library, if you rename it MBP_08_17.photoslibrary ?

8 replies

Mar 7, 2023 11:20 AM in response to ArmandoWyo

ArmandoWyo wrote: Should I try a restart?

Re-starting is always a good plan (even if rarely needed) to fix things. It's the new "kick it" to make stuff work.

If that doesn't work, try restarting in Safe Mode. This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes. It's different for different computers, so see this:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

Are you using iCloud to sync your devices?

Mar 7, 2023 10:24 AM in response to léonie

Leonie, that sounds excellent. Specially when I tried to do it, and I got this warning: "MBP>08/17.photoslibrary” can’t be renamed right now because another operation is in progress, such as moving or copying an item or emptying the Trash."

I had the file on an external HD, and had moved it back to MBA Picture's folder. and same thing happened when tried to rename each. I had nothing going on with either MBP library. but I emptied trash. made sure no photos open. Same warning.

Should I try a restart?

Can not open or repair Photos Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.