Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina - Annoying Update

Why doesn't Apple check what apps are likely to be destroyed by their insistence to upgrade our operating systems, before releasing them into the wild ?

It should be fairly straightforward for the install software to check through the applications on a destination Mac and warn of potential problems if the install continues.

Although not my main photo editing software, I was pretty annoyed when after installing Catalina my legacy version of Photoshop 5 was effectively destroyed.

Fortunately Lightroom still seems to be operational.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 4:09 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 1, 2020 10:08 AM in response to David Graeme-Baker

Final comment (maybe)

You were given the choice of upgrading or not.

You were strongly recommended to take backups.

You had the opportunity to research this forum and also the wider web to see what possible problems your mac might experience.

If you use it for work you could have taken a non-work day to test out Catalina and within  hours work out if it was for you or not. i.e. keep or revert.

Apple make it easy for you to revert to the original OS, even publishing simple instructions and a free Time Machine program, the best backup app on the market.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh15216/mac

I did all the above researching and testing, and apart from a problem with an old version of an app it went smoothly. IMO the fastest MacOS ever. 

I already got rid of 32bit apps last year.

If you just pushed the “Install” button to get the latest Thing with no research, no preparation, no test plan and no backout plan then you will have to accept the result.

Catalina - Annoying Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.