Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Application on Macintosh: Back to all photos button hides window

I'm running Photos Version 5.0 (131.17.170) on Mac running Catalina. When I have "Photos" window open (viewing thumbnails of the photo library), then select a single photo to view it, and then click the back button (top left of window next to the close, minimize & maximize buttons), many times this actions hides the window.

Why does it do this? I think it's a bug.

Any one have a fix?

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 10:36 AM

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? (This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread)

Next log into another user account and see if the problem persists there in Photos. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

Boot into Safe Mode (Use Safe Mode to isoloate issues with your Mac) and check to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2020 10:36 AM in response to PaulWith

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? (This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread)

Next log into another user account and see if the problem persists there in Photos. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

Boot into Safe Mode (Use Safe Mode to isoloate issues with your Mac) and check to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Photos Application on Macintosh: Back to all photos button hides window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.