Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect Macs to wi-fi network

Until yesterday, my Macs all connected automatically to my home wi-fi network. Now, when I try to connect, I get the message, "The Wi-Fi network [network's name] requires a WPA2 password." I enter that and ask to join, but no joy.

I'm online now only because my ISP, Xfinity, offers another WPA/WPA2 Enterprise connection coming from some other source. My router is my own Motorola MG7550 dual band.

I have tried some common remedies. Turn off and restart computer; reset router; unplug and restart router. Nothing works. And I can't get into my own router because although the wi-fi network shows ON, I can't join the network. I tried deleting all shown networks then restarting the computer to let it discover them again. No luck.

The only big change I have made lately is addition of a new internet connected TV about two weeks ago. But its wired connection works perfectly, and everything else worked perfectly until last night.

Whatever's going on here is way above my pay grade, so I would greatly appreciate (and gamely try) any suggestions from you folks. Thank you!

-- iMac 2017 with Catalina 10.15.3

-- MacBook Air 2019 with Mojave 10.14.6

-- Mac Mini late 2012 with High Sierra 10.13.6

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 8:37 AM

When you say reset the router I hope you meant a hard reset using the push pin on the back or wherever Motorola put it.

Can you connect to it by ethernet, or with your phone by wifi, and log into the admin screen and set a new password?

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 1, 2020 9:24 AM in response to LD150

Peter, thank you so much for this. I now have a happy family and can forego my nervous breakdown.

Your suggestion to use ethernet to get into my router never occurred to me. It required moving my iMac (the only machine with a direct ethernet plug) close to the router at the other end of the house, but hooray! I got into the router instantly and wouldn't you know it... I had a bad password. Once I entered that to join the desired wi-fi network, all was well.

Once again, thanks for spotting my mistake and setting me straight. You folks in this community deserve a medal for helping your fellow users.

Cannot connect Macs to wi-fi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.