Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Connect to WiFi on my Macbook Pro Retina Earl 2013, Running OSX Catalina 10.15.4

All of a sudden, I have lost connection to my wifi. When I try to connect, it tells me a WPA2 password is required. I have checked to make sure the password is correct in keychain, on both laptops. I have noticed that when I restart the Mac, as soon as it starts back up and I look in the top right corner at the WiFi option, it is turned off. I have to manually turn it on each time I restart or turn my computer off and then on again. I have two laptops, one of which I am typing this up on right now (a Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2015), and the Early 2013 model is the only one having this issue. I've done all of the troubleshooting steps I could think of, including:

• Deleting (-) the network entirely via System Preferences > Network > Advanced, and re-adding the Network.
  • Adding Google's DNS Servers (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4).
  • Under the TCP/IP tab, I changed Configure IPv4 from "Off" to "Using DHCP". This automatically reverted to off again, before I had the chance to do anything else.
  • Unplugged the router, waited 10 seconds, and plugged it back in.

I may have tried other troubleshooting steps, but this is what I can remember. I had a previous issue with my Mid 2015 Retina, but it was solved when I added the two Google DNS Servers above. It also did not automatically turn off the WiFi as it does on the Early 2013.

I am using an ATnT router, Model 5268ACFXN.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 6:48 PM

I appreciate your advice! Although, I was thankfully able to find out the solution sooner than later on my own. It was caused by a third party VPN service called IPVanish that was causing an issue with the DNS. I had to choose the option 'Fix OpenVPN DNS' under the connections tab, which then solved my issue. After speaking with a representative from IPVanish, it appears that it is a glitch that commonly happens with macOS Catalina.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2020 6:48 PM in response to MoonJ.

I appreciate your advice! Although, I was thankfully able to find out the solution sooner than later on my own. It was caused by a third party VPN service called IPVanish that was causing an issue with the DNS. I had to choose the option 'Fix OpenVPN DNS' under the connections tab, which then solved my issue. After speaking with a representative from IPVanish, it appears that it is a glitch that commonly happens with macOS Catalina.

Apr 27, 2020 4:26 PM in response to MeeceIT

Hello MeeceIT, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having trouble with the Wi-Fi staying on and connecting on your Early 2013 MacBook Pro. 

You've done a great job troubleshooting up to this point. Next, try resetting the system management controller. The SMC can resolve some power related issues. Follow the steps in this article: How to reset the SMC of your Mac

If the issue persists after you've reset the SMC, you'll want to work on isolating the issue further with these steps:

1 - Restart in safe mode and test again: How to use safe mode on your Mac

2 - If still occurring in safe mode you’ll need to create a new user, sign into that new user with your information, and test it out again. This article will show you how: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

All the best.

Cannot Connect to WiFi on my Macbook Pro Retina Earl 2013, Running OSX Catalina 10.15.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.