Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring Digital 8 from Sony DCR-TVR30 to MacBook Pro

I have seen threads saying that firewire-i.link cable with thunderbolt cable (linked through a firewire-thunderbolt connector) will work for this transfer. But I cannot even see the camera come up in any software. I have given up on iMovie because iMovie indicates the DCR-TVR30 is not supported. I downloaded PlayMemories Home before it went off the SONY page, but still no luck. There does not seem to be a way to the MacBook Pro running (running Mojave) to recognize this old digital video camera. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13", 10.14

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 5:22 PM

Note 2 in the article below says that "iMovie works with most mini DV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats. Use FireWire port for tape-based devices."

iMovie for macOS supported cameras – Apple Support

Generally speaking, there have been reports about both successful and not so successful iMovie connections via one or two Thunderbolt adapters. Experiments/tests may be required in order to find out whether a certain program version would work with the DCR-TRV30 (https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/3067/30670991M.pdf).

If possible, you may want to buy or borrow an older Mac computer with a built-in FireWire port and an earlier iMovie version instead,

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2020 5:22 PM in response to Holz-

Note 2 in the article below says that "iMovie works with most mini DV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats. Use FireWire port for tape-based devices."

iMovie for macOS supported cameras – Apple Support

Generally speaking, there have been reports about both successful and not so successful iMovie connections via one or two Thunderbolt adapters. Experiments/tests may be required in order to find out whether a certain program version would work with the DCR-TRV30 (https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/3067/30670991M.pdf).

If possible, you may want to buy or borrow an older Mac computer with a built-in FireWire port and an earlier iMovie version instead,

Transferring Digital 8 from Sony DCR-TVR30 to MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.