Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have iMessage on my XR iOS 13.1.3 switched off...

...yet sometimes it appears to send iMessages to an iPhone user. It appears to send as normal yet when I checked later, it was not there.

Also one of my Android contacts appears twice in my message list, one with a delayed message history and the other with an immediate history. I can send texts to either "contact" (I have only one contact in my contact list) but receive replies from one immediately and the other updates some time later. Again, iMessage is turned off.

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2020 1:54 AM

iOS 13.1.3 is 3 months old update to iOS 13.3.1.

"...yet sometimes it appears to send iMessages to an iPhone user. It appears to send as normal yet when I checked later, it was not there."

Smart Phones neither have the intelligence nor has the hostility. Hence we need to look at our device settings and the way we synchronise our smart phones with Mac/PC/iCloud and also how careful are we in sharing our sensitive and valuable informations with friends and family members.

This is basically and SMS issue, Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) The agency who issued the SIM to you

It would be better if you can please post a screenshot, in order to understand the phenomenon better. (delayed message history & immediate history.)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2020 1:54 AM in response to lestat1221

iOS 13.1.3 is 3 months old update to iOS 13.3.1.

"...yet sometimes it appears to send iMessages to an iPhone user. It appears to send as normal yet when I checked later, it was not there."

Smart Phones neither have the intelligence nor has the hostility. Hence we need to look at our device settings and the way we synchronise our smart phones with Mac/PC/iCloud and also how careful are we in sharing our sensitive and valuable informations with friends and family members.

This is basically and SMS issue, Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) The agency who issued the SIM to you

It would be better if you can please post a screenshot, in order to understand the phenomenon better. (delayed message history & immediate history.)

Feb 4, 2020 1:56 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for your advice. It sounds like you think that I think my phone is alive and making decisions on it's own, lol. When the device did not act as expected, I did check the settings. I have minimal information stored on iCloud as their track record for keeping information secure is not good at all. I choose to back up my iPhone to my PC.

To the issue at hand: as mentioned, I thought I saw a blue text bubble while groggily texting my friend (an iPhone user) early one morning. I hit send and fell back to sleep. Some days later when I noticed that I hadn't received a reply, I checked to see what was going on. The message wasn't there at all.

A few days ago, the same thing happened. I opened the Message app and selected the conversation. I tapped to type and a blue text bubble appeared. I proceeded to compose my message and hit send. I saw the blue progress bar at the top of the screen stall near the end hanging for a few seconds, then the message disappears. I guess, because I have chosen not to use iMessage, it dropped the message entirely. It would have been nice to receive a popup informing me of this and give me the option of sending the message via SMS. In fact, it shouldn't have brought up the blue iMessage bubble in the first place! This part is not a carrier issue.

The problem with the same contact with 2 conversation threads may be SMS related. However, I tend to think that the Message app sees the contact as 2 different people while the Contacts app shows it as the same person. Updating to iOS 13.3.1...

I have iMessage on my XR iOS 13.1.3 switched off...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.