Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay to Apple TV - Video not working when watching Apple TV+

Recently I activated my 1 year free trial on Apple TV+. To watch content, I want to Airplay the movies from my Mac to my Apple TV (one of the first generations - model A1427 - doesn't support direct Apple TV+).

Strangely enough, Audio comes through but video remains black (also on my Mac). When I disconnect the Airplay, on my Mac all is playing well.

When watching video on VLC on my Mac, I am perfectly capable of mirroring that to my Apple TV.

So why is it not possible to mirror my video on Apple TV device with Apple TV+ ?

Posted on Feb 2, 2020 2:57 AM

9 replies

Feb 3, 2020 9:46 AM in response to pplanch

The 3rd gen is over 7 years old, but is still receiving support and has direct access to the TV app (which contains Apple TV Plus). The current firmware for that model is 7.4 so verify that you are in fact running that version.

This is a user forum so when there are certain issues that require further assistance/diagnostics it is best to contact Apple support or take the unit to an Apple store.

Feb 3, 2020 10:18 AM in response to vazandrew

As I mentioned, the device is up to date on software. It works perfect when streaming music or podcasts or TED talks but lacks sound when streaming Apple TV+ content. It also works perfectly when Airplaying video from VLC on my Mac but not when Airplaying Apple TV+ from my Mac.

AppleCare is not free, and though I have good experiences with Appke devices since 1984 (although “it just works” is not very accurate anymore the past few years), my experiences with Apple Helpdesk is not so great. On this forum I tend to get answers to issues of all kinds, but apparently in this case nobody knows a clue or everybody just wants to push AppleCare ...

I find it hard to believe that Apple TV+ would not support AirPlay (that would be very shortsighted of Apple) ...

Guess I have to wait a bit longer until I find the answer ...

Feb 3, 2020 10:34 AM in response to pplanch

I asked to verify the exact firmware currently running, as there are plenty of users who think they are up to date when in fact they are not.

The 3rd gen has access directly to the TV app, so if you do not have it on your menu screen then that alone would confirm that you were not up to date. There would also be less of a reason to use airplay in that case.

There was no mention of AppleCare, and calling Apple support has been free for quite some time. While first line responders can sometimes have issues the higher level support staff are always on hand and customers can always request them.

Like I said there are instances where further assistance is required, and there are cases where it is simply not something a user on this forum can answer.

I wasn't the one who said Apple TV Plus didn't support airplay, however based on reports it may be that previous models are not supported.

Your best options have been outlined, if you would rather not pursue those then you can do as you wish and I will leave you to it.

Airplay to Apple TV - Video not working when watching Apple TV+

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.