Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with connecting Wifi in my Mac Pro.

I can no longer connect to any network via wifi with my mac Pro. Few hours back it was working fine.

On the TCP/IP tab in network settings the IPv4/IPv6 address is blank. Even the DNS tab is empty.

I ran the wireless diagnostics but didn't get too far, beyond advice to review wifi best practices, and advised to try a little closer to the router.

My other computers have no trouble connecting.

Please help in getting my Mac Pro connected via Wifi again.

Posted on Feb 2, 2020 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2020 11:22 AM

I don't know what exact model of Mac Pro you have, or the OS you're running on it, so can only give you general help.

Under system preferences>>>Network>>Wifi>>Advanced, under TCP/IP should be Renew DHCP lease. Try that.

Other than that, try the usual....reset smc/pmu and zap pram. Easy enough to do. for the first one, Shut down your mac Pro, remove power cord/cable, hold down power button for about 45 seconds, take finger off of power button, wait another 45 seconds, roughly, plug in power cord/cable and press button to start up. Then do the second one while starting up: Hold down Apple (command), Option, P and R keys together for 3 chimes (restarts) then let go and let Mac pro start up as usual.

I don't even know what kind of router you have..... If it was an AirPort, that I could help you with. Certain other kinds/makes require you to use a web-browser based access to make any changes to the router's settings, such as TP-LINK. If you had one of those, you'd connect an Ethernet cable from your Mac pro to the router directly,and type in the router's default IP address in your web browser, which would be on the bottom of the router. from there you would be able to log in, and make the appropriate changes.

Usually a 5ghz network works better for Wifi than 2.4, and I'm sure you've heard this said: pick a channel that isn't being used as much as other ones.

If you hold down the Option key and click on the Wifi Icon at the top right of your screen, it'll tell you the Transmission (signal) strength, what frequency and channel your wifi is on, etc, etc....

In some cases, you might need a wifi booster/extender, but I'll leave that up to someone else for now.......

good luck

John B

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2020 11:22 AM in response to dibyayan

I don't know what exact model of Mac Pro you have, or the OS you're running on it, so can only give you general help.

Under system preferences>>>Network>>Wifi>>Advanced, under TCP/IP should be Renew DHCP lease. Try that.

Other than that, try the usual....reset smc/pmu and zap pram. Easy enough to do. for the first one, Shut down your mac Pro, remove power cord/cable, hold down power button for about 45 seconds, take finger off of power button, wait another 45 seconds, roughly, plug in power cord/cable and press button to start up. Then do the second one while starting up: Hold down Apple (command), Option, P and R keys together for 3 chimes (restarts) then let go and let Mac pro start up as usual.

I don't even know what kind of router you have..... If it was an AirPort, that I could help you with. Certain other kinds/makes require you to use a web-browser based access to make any changes to the router's settings, such as TP-LINK. If you had one of those, you'd connect an Ethernet cable from your Mac pro to the router directly,and type in the router's default IP address in your web browser, which would be on the bottom of the router. from there you would be able to log in, and make the appropriate changes.

Usually a 5ghz network works better for Wifi than 2.4, and I'm sure you've heard this said: pick a channel that isn't being used as much as other ones.

If you hold down the Option key and click on the Wifi Icon at the top right of your screen, it'll tell you the Transmission (signal) strength, what frequency and channel your wifi is on, etc, etc....

In some cases, you might need a wifi booster/extender, but I'll leave that up to someone else for now.......

good luck

John B

Issue with connecting Wifi in my Mac Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.