Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Connect MacBook Pro to WiFi

I recently updated my software to Mac OS Big Sur 11.5, and now I cannot connect to wifi. I have cleared my network history, renewed the DHCP lease, tried configuring IPv6 to link-local only, and restarted several times. My other iOS devices can access the same network with no connectivity issues. When attempting to connect, my network status states “Wifi has the self assigned IP address *** and will not be able to connect to the internet”.

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 8:55 PM

bobert5280 Said:

"Unable to Connect MacBook Pro to WiFi: I recently updated my software to Mac OS Big Sur 11.5, and now I cannot connect to wifi. I have cleared my network history, renewed the DHCP lease, tried configuring IPv6 to link-local only, and restarted several times. My other iOS devices can access the same network with no connectivity issues. When attempting to connect, my network status states 'Wifi has the self assigned IP address *** and will not be able to connect to the internet'. "

-------

Self Assigned:

Dynamic Vs. Static IP Address: If it is self-assigned, then it is dynamic (It uses an IP address not already in use. If it is manually-assigned, then it is static (assigned to a particular device). If this is a home Wi-Fi (likely dynamic) then, remove the network, and add it back. If this is a business Wi-Fi account, then contact you administrator of your network, asking for assistance with this.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi:

A few thoughts to try

I. Clear the Temporary Internet Files:

II. Restart your Router:

1. Power: off the router
  2. Wait: 30 seconds
  3. Power: It back on

III. Boot in Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: shift key, upon boot], In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install.

IV. Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an error with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

V. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2021 8:55 PM in response to bobert5280

bobert5280 Said:

"Unable to Connect MacBook Pro to WiFi: I recently updated my software to Mac OS Big Sur 11.5, and now I cannot connect to wifi. I have cleared my network history, renewed the DHCP lease, tried configuring IPv6 to link-local only, and restarted several times. My other iOS devices can access the same network with no connectivity issues. When attempting to connect, my network status states 'Wifi has the self assigned IP address *** and will not be able to connect to the internet'. "

-------

Self Assigned:

Dynamic Vs. Static IP Address: If it is self-assigned, then it is dynamic (It uses an IP address not already in use. If it is manually-assigned, then it is static (assigned to a particular device). If this is a home Wi-Fi (likely dynamic) then, remove the network, and add it back. If this is a business Wi-Fi account, then contact you administrator of your network, asking for assistance with this.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi:

A few thoughts to try

I. Clear the Temporary Internet Files:

II. Restart your Router:

1. Power: off the router
  2. Wait: 30 seconds
  3. Power: It back on

III. Boot in Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: shift key, upon boot], In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install.

IV. Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an error with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

V. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

Unable to Connect MacBook Pro to WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.