Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator Renaming in High Sierra: “...could not be replaced because it conflicts with existing file.”

I am using Automator to organize my music files on an external HD. I have many songs in duplication (depending on playlist) so the duplicates are there for that reason. I’m trying to replace the files that have “@0” at the end of the basename to remove that (I’ve tried check box for both “in base name only” and “in full name only”) but in the log return, I keep getting the warnings that “[Song Title] could not be replaced because it conflicts with existing file.” Is there a way I can fix this or create a script that ignores the fact there are duplicate title names? I don’t want to delete the dups., I just want to get rid of that “@0”. I have thousands of songs, so I need to use automation. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 10:43 AM

You have to erase the file you are trying to overwrite before you can save the new file. I don't know what action you are trying to use but the normal Rename Finder Items does have a checkbox to Replace Existing Files so you can overwrite the file you are replacing.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2020 10:43 AM in response to Vicki45

You have to erase the file you are trying to overwrite before you can save the new file. I don't know what action you are trying to use but the normal Rename Finder Items does have a checkbox to Replace Existing Files so you can overwrite the file you are replacing.

Automator Renaming in High Sierra: “...could not be replaced because it conflicts with existing file.”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.