Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 2013 Mac Air notebook. I'd like to hook it to my TV which has an HDMI port. What kind of a cable to do I need to purchase?

I have a 2013 Mac Air notebook. I like to hook it to my television which has an HDMI port - in essence to watch on television what is showing on my laptop. What kind of a cable do I need?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 9:59 AM

From Apple's technical specifications for your MacBook Air, the following are what video outputs are supported with this device.

Graphics and Video Support

• Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
  • Thunderbolt digital video output
    • Native Mini DisplayPort output
    • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
    • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • HDMI audio and video output using third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (sold separately)

Specifically, for connecting your notebook to a HDMI port, you would need a Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter as noted in the last line.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2020 9:59 AM in response to debi148

From Apple's technical specifications for your MacBook Air, the following are what video outputs are supported with this device.

Graphics and Video Support

• Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
  • Thunderbolt digital video output
    • Native Mini DisplayPort output
    • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
    • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • HDMI audio and video output using third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (sold separately)

Specifically, for connecting your notebook to a HDMI port, you would need a Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter as noted in the last line.

I have a 2013 Mac Air notebook. I'd like to hook it to my TV which has an HDMI port. What kind of a cable to do I need to purchase?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.